Friday, February 27, 2009

'A Child's Journey Out Of Autism' by Leeann Whiffen


My first experience with autism was just a few months ago, when I attended a week-long program for parents of autistic children. I arrived there as an interpreter for a family from Poland and five days later I left as a changed, spiritually and mentally uplifted person. A Child’s Journey Out of Autism by Leeann Whiffen left me with the same feeling of awe and amazement I had experienced at the program five months before.
Leeann Whiffen and her husband Sean were suddenly thrown into the world of nightmare when their two-year-old son Clay was diagnosed with PDD, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, which is a form of autism. From that day forward, they went through the whirl of misinformation, doctors’ inadequacy and fellow parents’ misunderstandings, confused, sometimes cold and reproachful looks and comments. They hit every stumbling block, every wall and shutting door but they refused to give up. Because of the determination to win their son back from autism, they also met many helping angels on their journey: doctors who wanted and knew how to help, parents who suffered the same anguish, and people who wanted to help simply because they wanted to make a difference in one child’s life.
A Child’s Journey Out of Autism leads us through Leeann’s incredible path of always holding on to hope. Even though it is a real-life story, it reads like a first class action and suspense book. Even all the medical terms and description, that otherwise could bore a reader to tears, are surprisingly interesting because they are written in a language of deep emotions. Leeann turns out to be a fantastic writer. Her writing is clear, very straightforward and engaging, grabbing a reader’s attention from the first page and holding it to the very end. Probably the best part is that Leeann neither sanctifies nor victimizes herself. There are moments of doubt, selfishness and despair, but there are also moments of great joy, determination and courage to go on one more day. She is a normal mother who loves and cares for her children and who manages to win the battle despite being told that she never would. Precisely because of this ‘normalcy’, Leeann’s message of hope to other parents of autistic children is so powerful. I couldn’t help but care and cheer for every member of the Whiffen’s family: Leeann, her husband Sean and their two wonderful boys, Clay and Drew (who, by the way, is a wonderful, courageous brother and friend to Clay). I cried tears of sorrow and joy, and I guarantee that everyone who reads this book will too.
This book however, should be read by every parent, not only the ones with autistic children. It is a story of how to appreciate every little thing about our children, how to love them fully and unconditionally. It is a story of perseverance in the face of biggest despair, of determination to never give up, even if we are told that that’s precisely what we should do.

Favorite quote:

"He smiles his crooked smile and tilts his head until it touches his shoulder. His smile morphs into a giggle. Then, simultaneously, we laugh out loud – a deep, feel-good laugh right from the belly. We laugh together some more, and I cry, because I am so full of joy. A joy that is so deep it can only be felt when one has finally emerged from the depths of desperation and discouragement."

***

Special Thanks to Danielle J. from Sourcebooks for providing me with a copy of this book.



6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful review of an important book. My grown-up son is an Asperger (mild form of Autism) so I know how important it is that parents can find help and support in literature :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dorte. I agree with you. I think every person,present and future parents, should read this book and familiarize themselves with Autism spectrum. My child is not autistic but I am hoping to have more children and I am glad that I know as much as I do about Autism, because my next child might be on the Autism spectrum. It is pretty much an epidemic right now, in America every 1 in 150 children has it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great review. I've read a few books on autism as it seems so very common now as opposed to when my children were young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Diane. I admit I used to be completely ignorant of autism but circumstances forced me to learn more and nowadays I, like you try to find out as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this informative recommendation of this important book about a family's battle with autism. I've been trying to learn more about this condition. I'm glad to have this book as a reference. As a mom, I know that this family's love, dedication and good humor can only help me grow more as a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so pleased to see this on your list of 2009 favourites. My son has just been diagnosed with mild autism, so I am going to go and buy this book now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete