Sunday, August 8, 2010

June & July Reads


Since I haven't posted my reading summary for June, I decided to cover two months in one post. Considering I read very little in both months (as far as what my personal expectations are), I figured separate posts for each month weren't warranted.


Broken: A Love StoryThis Must Be the Place: A Novel

Books I enjoyed the most in the last two months were quite varied in genres. There's a memoir, a thriller, a contemporary fiction and a historical fiction. So they might have been two of the slowest reading months but they were definitely rich in material. Broken by Lisa Jones is the memoir and even though I read it two months ago, it's still on my mind. This Must Be the Place by Kate Racculia, is a contemporary fiction novel that has already found a permanent place on my 'Best' list. The historical one I mentioned above is Heart of Lies by M.L. Malcolm for which I have yet to finish writing a review but which made me want to read more historical fiction again. And finally Lisa Gardner's Hide, such a good thriller that it made me go online and purchase the two others in the D.D. Warren series immediately after finishing this one.

Heart of Lies: A NovelHide


The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet: A NovelI think that The Thousand Autumns of Jacob the Zoet by David Mitchell was the biggest disappointment in the past several months. I was expecting a wonderful, exhilarating read and as it is, I'm surprised I even finished it at all. It was boring and self-indulgent.






June Reads:

1. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell - historical fiction, literary fiction
2. Broken: A Love Story by Lisa Jones - memoir
3. Still Missing by Chevy Stevens - thriller
4. Lovers by Vendela Vida - contemporary American fiction/women's literature
5. The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley - dystopian lit
6. A Walk In the Woods by Bill Bryson - travelogue, non-fiction, memoir


July Reads:

1. Roseflower Creek by Jackie Lee Miles
2. Halfway to Each Other by Susan Pohlman - travel memoir, non-fiction
3. This Must Be the Place by Kate Racculia - contemporary American fiction
4. Damaged by Alex Kava - thriller
5. Heart of Lies by M. L. Malcolm - historical fiction
6. Hide by Lisa Gardner - thriller


7 comments:

  1. That Malcolm book sounds good if it make you want to read more HF again :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is a dissenting voice on Mitchell. Nice to get another perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved This Must Be the Place too! A really great read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is rather interesting for me to read the article. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

    Kate Swenson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list of books, Lily. I like getting your perspective on Mitchell's latest book too. I haven't read anything by him yet but plan too soon. I was looking at his books in the store yesterday. I don't think I'll read "The Thousand Autumns..." anytime soon!

    I wanted to tell you that I am very interested in the reading challenge "Understand my Sorrow" you started. I want to read several books on those topics. I don't think I'm up to joining the challenge right now but I am hoping you will host it again. If thinks change, I'll let you know.

    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet website, I hadn't come across lilly-readingextravaganza.blogspot.com earlier during my searches!
    Keep up the superb work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope all is well with you and your little man Lilly. I read Still Missing in August and thought it was excellent and I'd still like to read Roseflower Creek.
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete