Monday, December 6, 2010

November Reads


Throughout November I stuck to my plan and only read horror novels. I have to say that I like this themed reading plan and am definitely continuing it in the upcoming months. I like the fact that I don't have to wonder what to read next every time I finish a book. I'm a very indecisive person and you have no idea how many books I pick up and put back on the shelves before I settle on one. With themes already planned for the whole month, it's easier to pick the books and then I just grab one after another from the pile.

Here's what I read in November:

1. Blood Games by Richard Laymon


2. A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons


3. 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King


4. Cabal by Clive Barker


5. What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz


6. The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan

What the Night Knows: A NovelA Winter HauntingThe Strain (The Strain Trilogy)

My most favorite was What the Night Knows. It's a pretty scary ghost story but I also can be a little biased here because Dean Koontz is one of my favorite writer. I was also pleasantly surprised by A Winter Haunting. It was a very lyrical type of a horror story, a modern Gothic. It definitely encouraged me to read more of Dan Simmons. Another good one was The Strain. I don't if it was due to horror books' overload (The Strain was my 9th horror book in a row) but it honestly gave me nightmares for a couple of nights. I enjoy this modernized version of the vampire lore and will be reading the rest of The Strain Trilogy.

Cabal

I think I was most disappointed by Cabal. It seems that Barker's bizarre writing just doesn't suit me. This opinion was cemented by reading three short stories included in the edition of Cabal I read. It looks like this will be my last experience with Mr. Barker.

 And now, off to my christian and inspirational fiction reading...

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of themed reading, but can rarely stick to it myself. I admire people who can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm I love a good horror story but have read very little this year, too busy catching up on review committment reads. Might have a look at doing a themed month or two in 2011, I like the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete