Sunday, January 16, 2011

Best Books Read in 2010

My post is probably one of the latest ones appearing in the blogosphere summarizing the previous year in reading. I suppose I hesitated with the idea of writing one at all but decided that it's more a way of reference for myself and a few readers that may want to look for what I liked in the past years. I will only list the books that I absolutely loved or liked enough to keep them on my shelves for possible future re-reads. If you are so inclined, you can read a complete list of books I read in 2010 here. My only request is for you to not think that the books I don't mention in this post but are included in my 2010 read list are all bad. They are not, a lot of them are okay but simply just weren't my taste and I'm still glad I read them. You can always read my reviews (the ones that I did review) to see if you still would like them.

Books I loved (in alphabetical order):

City of Tranquil Light by Bo Caldwell - historical fiction, christian fiction, Asian fiction

The Passage by Justin Cronin - horror/ dystopian/ vampires 

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah - contemporary fiction, women's fiction 

Song of the Silent Harp by BJ Hoff - christian historical fiction, Ireland

Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman - historical fiction, England, Wales

This Must Be the Place by Kate Racculia - contemporary American fiction 

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers - christian fiction, historical fiction, 19th cent. America

The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama - Asian fiction


Books I really, really liked (they're also definite keepers and now belong on my shelves permanently):

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - dystopian, YA

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - dystopian, YA 

The Maze Runner by James Dashner - YA, sci-fi, dystopian

Heart of the Lonely Exile by BJ Hoff - historical, christian fiction, Ireland

Broken: A Love Story by Lisa Jones - memoir

By Fire, By Water by Mitchell James Kaplan - historical 

Strangers by Dean Koontz - thriller, suspense, paranormal

What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz - horror

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok - Asian fiction/ women's lit. 

The Surrendered by Chang-Rae Lee - literary fiction, Asian 

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine - contemporary fiction

Heart of Lies by M.L. Malcolm - historical fiction 

Falling from the Moon by Lise Marinelli - historical fiction

The Language of Trees by Illie Ruby – contemporary American fiction, magic realism, 

Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith - YA/thriller

Solitary by Alexander Gordon Smith (Escape from Furnace 2) - YA thriller

6 comments:

  1. I truly want to read the Cronin book one day, and Here be Dragons. Great list!

    I have been waiting for Mockingyay forever, I hope the library get it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few here on my TBR. When to get to them is the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo THE PASSAGE :-) One of my favorites, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to try those DeanK.

    I also want to try another KHannah as I loved Firefly Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so delighted to have made your list, especially in the company of so many other wonderful books. Thank you! Sequel to "Heart of Lies" comes out in April, "Heart of Deception." Have a wonderful 2011!
    Sincerely,

    M.L. Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed a few of the books on your list, but there are many I haven't read. Will have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete