Sunday, January 16, 2011

Best Books Read in 2010

My post is probably one of the latest ones appearing in the blogosphere summarizing the previous year in reading. I suppose I hesitated with the idea of writing one at all but decided that it's more a way of reference for myself and a few readers that may want to look for what I liked in the past years. I will only list the books that I absolutely loved or liked enough to keep them on my shelves for possible future re-reads. If you are so inclined, you can read a complete list of books I read in 2010 here. My only request is for you to not think that the books I don't mention in this post but are included in my 2010 read list are all bad. They are not, a lot of them are okay but simply just weren't my taste and I'm still glad I read them. You can always read my reviews (the ones that I did review) to see if you still would like them.

Books I loved (in alphabetical order):

City of Tranquil Light by Bo Caldwell - historical fiction, christian fiction, Asian fiction

The Passage by Justin Cronin - horror/ dystopian/ vampires 

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah - contemporary fiction, women's fiction 

Song of the Silent Harp by BJ Hoff - christian historical fiction, Ireland

Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman - historical fiction, England, Wales

This Must Be the Place by Kate Racculia - contemporary American fiction 

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers - christian fiction, historical fiction, 19th cent. America

The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama - Asian fiction


Books I really, really liked (they're also definite keepers and now belong on my shelves permanently):

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - dystopian, YA

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - dystopian, YA 

The Maze Runner by James Dashner - YA, sci-fi, dystopian

Heart of the Lonely Exile by BJ Hoff - historical, christian fiction, Ireland

Broken: A Love Story by Lisa Jones - memoir

By Fire, By Water by Mitchell James Kaplan - historical 

Strangers by Dean Koontz - thriller, suspense, paranormal

What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz - horror

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok - Asian fiction/ women's lit. 

The Surrendered by Chang-Rae Lee - literary fiction, Asian 

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine - contemporary fiction

Heart of Lies by M.L. Malcolm - historical fiction 

Falling from the Moon by Lise Marinelli - historical fiction

The Language of Trees by Illie Ruby – contemporary American fiction, magic realism, 

Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith - YA/thriller

Solitary by Alexander Gordon Smith (Escape from Furnace 2) - YA thriller