Sunday, May 3, 2009

April Reads

I honestly cannot believe that it’s already May and another month just flew by. This unnoticed passage of time might be due to having read quite an amount of books. For me, 15 books in one month would have seemed a lunacy just a year ago. But since I started my blog I have noticed that I read more and more. I honestly don’t know why that is other than perhaps a bigger motivation. And I must say that April was quite fruitful in good reads department.

1. Bone Man's Daughters by Ted Dekker (Dekker has always been an author I liked and I wasn’t disappointed this time either).

2. The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant (This one was my first book reviewed on a new site The Girls On Books. The lovely ladies running it graciously agreed to take me in. The book was also my biggest disappointment).

3. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (This is a non-fiction book about a Hmong family living in United States and their struggles with our health system. A very touching book which I read thanks to my book club and I am embarrassed to say, I would never have reached for it otherwise. But I’m glad I did).

4. Elijah's Coin by Steve O'Brien (A very inspiring story and an engaging read).

5. Afraid by Jack Kilborn (The only horror book I read this month, which is surprising considering I love horror fiction).

6. Shame Lifter by Marilyn Hontz (A Christian non-fiction book, very uplifting. There will be a review coming up shortly).

7. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See (A historical fiction book which I reviewed on The Girls On Books site).

8. Finding Grace by Donna VanLiere (A wonderful memoir which I think I identified with the most this month).

9. A Lucky Child by Thomas Buergenthal (Another memoir, but quite different from the previous one and just as moving. it was also quite fitting for the Days of Remembrance celebrated in April).

10. The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis (I love Kalogridis. This book is probably the best one so far in the line of historical fiction written by Jeanne).

11. Follow Me by Joanna Scott (This book convinced me to give contemporary American fiction another try. I was quite taken with the story).

12. Vivaldi's Virgins by Barbara Quick (A great historical fiction with concentrating on classical music. The review is coming up tomorrow on The Girls On Books site).

13. The Pursuit of Perfect by Tal Ben-Shahar (Even though self-help books are not normally what I read, this one I liked).

14. Angel of Wrath by Bill Myers (A Christian thriller, which I thoroughly enjoyed).

15. Behold, Here's Poison by Georgette Heyer (Well, what can I say? It’s Heyer. I adored this book!)

Audiobooks:

1. The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb (I have to say that I was actually a little disappointed with it. I normally like Lamb and this book had all the trademarks of the author but it just seemed to be dragging too much. Maybe if I read it, instead of listening to it, I would have liked it better).

2. Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (Now I know what all the noise was about. It was a great Faery story , the narrator did an awesome job and I already am listening to Ink Exchange, the sequel).

11 comments:

  1. Wow, you had a great month in books! I haven't totaled my stats (I'll do that in my Sunday Salon post today) but I think I only finished around 10 or so books this month. Not bad, but I really with I could get more reading done!! :-) Glad you are enjoying Melissa Marr's books--I LOVED them! Just finished Ink Exchange and Fragile Eternity this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of books there :D
    And some sure looks good, but I think I will stay away from Dunant if you say so

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great book choices you had for April, you did well!

    I have 2 Wally Lamb doorstops to read & I also have Melissa Marrs on audio to get to :-)

    PS There's an award waiting for you at my place.
    http://teddyree-theeclecticreader.blogspot.com/2009/04/heartfelt.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a great month..
    I'm tagging you if you would like to participate ..
    http://desertrosebooklogue.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-was-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great month! interesting selections too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you liked the audio of Wicked Lovely -- especially since I raved about it in my review! I'm planning on getting to Ink Exchange very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My! You´ve really done well!

    One of my extra benefits of blogging was that I hardly noticed January and February passing by - usually I tend to be a bit down in the dark months so it was a wonderful change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in the process of reading Follow me now. Also on the tbr pile is Bonemans daughter. You had a great reading month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lilly: I have given your an award...please check out my page when you get a chance. :)

    http://missysbooknook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you read quite a bit last month. Thanks for stopping by my blog to say hi. I'm looking forward to meeting so many book bloggers at BEA! - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had a great month! I'm behind in my blog reading, but I'll have to check out your reviews soon.

    Btw, I have a little something for you here.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete