Monday, January 18, 2010

It's Monday and it's time for ... Borrowed Words



I have not posted any quotes for the longest time here but with this first 'Borrowed Words' in new year I hope to be more diligent about my weekly quote feature.
While reading  The Street of a Thousand Blossoms I came upon words that characterized one person's attitude towards reading and it is something completely different from my own, in fact, this sentiment is something I don't even fully comprehend in a way that living this way is unimaginable to me. I give you words borrowed from The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama:


In her mind, life was too short to


sit in classrooms, laboring over


words and numbers in


books. She preferred to live the


experiences herself, not just read


about them.


How about you? Do you agree, disagree or do you see the validity of it?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lilly! I have given you an award!
    http://cafeofdreams.blogspot.com/2010/01/award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I have heard this sentiment before, but to me one can easily live a life through experiences and books. I think that through reading books, ones life is even deeper and more enriched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's important to do both.

    I wanted to do something like this post! I will come back for more because I don't always agree with quotes either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I prefer another quote in response to this one:

    "People say life is the thing, but I prefer reading." ~ Logan Pearsall Smith

    Actually, I agree with CeeCee, both are important, but personally I spend a lot more time reading than doing, and I think I've had a lot of unique experiences that way too.

    ReplyDelete