Saturday, May 1, 2010

April Reads


I did wonderfully in April, if I say so myself. I managed to read 11 books, including a thousand-page behemoth. I feel really good about reading, however not so great about writing reviews. I still only have so much spare time with a little baby on my hands and an almost a teenager in the house:) I am getting to it though and my reviews for most of the books will definitely be written and posted this month.


The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Trilogy (Hardback))The Girl Next Door: A NovelThe Blue Notebook: A Novel



In general the quality of reading was quite satisfying. The Maze Runner, The Blue Notebook and The Girl Next Door were hands down the best reads. All three very different, The Maze Runner being the lightest and most fun and The Blue Notebook, the most shocking and saddest, I definitely recommend reading them. The Girl Next Door was probably most surprising because I expected a light chick lit and it got very serious towards the end, made me tear up even.
Under the Dome: A Novel

 As far as the most disappointing read, Under the Dome takes the prize. Stephen King is one of my top authors but this book of his just wasn't up to par with his other writings. Yes, technically he still knows how to write, but it was full of cliche characters and if you read anywhere that it's his second Stand, do not believe it for a minute. The Stand is a star and Under the Dome is a flashlight.

And here's what I read:


1. The Maze Runner by James Dashner - YA, sci-fi, dystopian

2. Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott - mystery, modern fiction

3. Powers by John Olsen - Christian thriller

4. The Swimming Pool by Holly LeCraw - contemporary American fiction

5. Mercury in Retrograde by Paula Froelich - chick lit

6. The Confident Woman by Joyce Meyer - Christian inspirational non-fiction

7. Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon - literary thriller

8. Andean Express by Juan De Recacoechea/ translated by Adrian Althoff - crime/South American fiction

9. The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine - contemporary fiction

10. Under the Dome by Stephen King - sci-fi

11. The Girl Next Door by Elizabeth Noble - chick lit

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'd be thrilled to finish 11 books in a month, and I don't have a baby. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I hope the baby is also thriving? ;D

    You say about your best reads that they are "All three very different" - don´t you think that is the key to most excellent reading experiences, authors surprising us with something different?

    ReplyDelete
  3. (11) books and a new baby?? I'd say you are Wonder Woman!! Congrats Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep meaning to get to The Blue Notebook- it seems to be on everyone's favorites list. :)

    ReplyDelete