Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Book List: I thought I'd hate you but I love you!

The Book List is just a short and fun meme hosted by lovely Rebecca from Lost in Books that allows you to share books and make a list of books! Who doesn't love lists?!?
Today's topic is:

3 Books You Thought You'd Hate But Ended Up Loving



Reading Lolita in Tehran1. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Nazar Afisi

I at first didn't know what to expect of this book, then a few pages into it, I was afraid I would really dislike it because it was very slow. But in the end, it was one of the best memoirs I read last year. Here's a little bit of my review:

Reading Lolita In Tehran is not an easy read. Nor should it be such. You cannot write down in any easy terms memories and experiences that defined these women and became their everyday terrors. However, it is a beautiful book and well worth the time you’ll spend reading it. It is written in a way that’ll become personal to every person that reads it. For me, Azar Nafisi gave me the greatest gift a writer can give to a reader: a new appreciation for literature, which sadly and quite unconsciously I have started to take for granted.


Passion Unleashed (Demonica, Book 3)2. Passion Unleashed by Larissa Ione
Hey, what can I say! Never in my life had I thought I would be as enthralled in a paranormal romance story as I was reading this book :) I literally blew through it in one day and I know my cheeks were burning red while I was reading.
This is what I thought about Larissa and her book:

Most importantly, Larissa is one heck of a paranormal romance writer. She has a skill for creating the most twisted demonic characters and for writing a book that is actually very touching because amidst all heaven breaking loose, the whole evil world going at it, there is still enough space for a very human feeling called love. I know that it sounds a little tacky, but I can’t help it. I have to give credit where credit’s due and Passion Unleashed is a perfect book to get completely lost in and forget about the world outside, if only for a few hours.



Boxed Set (Books 1-7) and Hogwarts Express Bookends3. The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling

For years I refused to cave in to the 'Harry Potter hysteria'. I think I was one of the biggest, most adamant opponents of this awesome story. And then, one day, I started listening to it on audio and my life hasn't been the same since. BTW, Jim Dale is a master performer and if you are a fan of Harry Potter, you should give the audio version a try.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Larissa Ione, I would never have thought that :=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Potter was on my list too. Funny how sometimes 'everyone' is right, isn't it? Nice choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I am so late in commenting!

    I read Reading Lolita in Tehran and couldn't finish it but got most of the way through. It was so slow and I couldn't believe how uninterested I was in the people in the book! Usually this type of book becomes a favorite of mine. Interesting that we were opposites on it!

    ReplyDelete