Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine

The Blue Notebook: A NovelOnce in a while a book comes along that catches me unawares, surprises the heck out of me and then stays in my head for days and weeks afterward.  Mind you, it doesn’t happen all that often but when it does, the book earns its rightful place on my private “best of…” list and shares its glory with timeless classics. Why do I give you this elaborate beginning? Because sadly, in today’s literary world there aren’t all that many books of value and when I finally do find one, I cherish it all the more. The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine is all of the above.

Levine’s novel is a story of Batuk, a 15-year-old Indian girl sold to prostitution by her parents when she was only 9. She somehow manages to keep ‘her head above water’ in the cruel world of sexual terrors, drugs, murder and violence. Batuk gets hold of a notebook and a pencil and starts writing down her life. Detail after heartbreaking detail, the reader gets to find out what Batuk does, how she got cheated out of the life she dreamed of having and what a beautiful, soulful girl she still remained despite of what’s been done to her.

As I mentioned already, this is one, heartbreaking story. What makes it so tragic is not even the fictional character of  Batuk (as horrifying as her life is) but the fact that children all over the world, not only India, suffer this very real fate of child exploitation. This one thing just wouldn’t leave my mind all the time I was reading The Blue Notebook. I really applaud Mr. Levine for being brave enough to write such a difficult and shocking book, as it must not have been easy writing the pretty horrific sex scenes involving children. Amidst all this calamity, he somehow managed to make Batuk be a wonderful, innocent and resilient girl.
For a small in size novel, The Blue Notebook delivers a “sucker punch” of emotions.

A shocking story aside, what I probably liked and appreciated the most is the spare, yet powerful prose the book is written in.  I couldn’t believe that the author is a doctor from Minessota and not an Indian writer or at least somebody who spend a lifetime in India. That’s how real and believable the voice of Batuk seemed to me. I didn’t doubt for a moment that I held in my hands a work of a very talented writer and I hope that Mr. Levine will write more. For now though, The Blue Notebook is plenty enough and I think it’s an important work of fiction that should be read by as many people as possible because of the difficult subject it deal with.

*********
I think it’s important to mention that all the proceeds from The Blue Notebook are donated to the International and National Centers for Missing and Exploited Children. If you want to know more, please visit their website: http://icmec.org

9 comments:

  1. I loved this story, as tough as it was to read!

    Happy Mother's Day Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. I have this book on my TBR pile, sounds like it's time I actually read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like that he donates the money cos they sure need it. I have not read this story but I know it would break my heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this this story when it first came out and it really moved me. But I always wonder how much books like this really help the cause. Not to sound completely depressing, but... I read the book and felt bad about the cause, but I didn't then feel motivated to do much else because it just seems like such a huge situation to conquer, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane - thank you!

    Jessica - thanks, and yes, I think you'll like it and it's a quick read too so even if you have other books to read it won't take up too much time.

    Blodeuedd - it definitely would break your heart, especially if you are a person that gets emotionally involved in a novel, I know I am.

    Aarti - I know exactly what you mean, it is a great, great problem and I just wonder what exactly it is that I personally can do about it. And come up with...not much if anything. it's almost as if this has been going on for ages and will continue to do so for ages to come. I just hope that even if only one child gets rescued it means something good has been done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a tough read and generally I avoid those. However, this does sound like one of those must reads. Will put it on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely buy this book, since the proceeds are going to help rescue exploited children. This book sounds painful to read but unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read one other review of this book and it too was a very positive one. I ended up getting it, but just forgot about it till now. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you liked it. It's been on my shelf for awhile, but I've been hesitant to read it because I've heard that it's tough to take.


    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete