Monday, July 5, 2010

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


It’s Monday! What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list. It is hosted by Sheila from One Person's Journey Through a World of Books.


Last week has been much better than I expected in terms of reading. Here's what I managed to read:



Halfway to Each Other: How a Year in Italy Brought Our Family HomeA Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian TrailRoseflower Creek, 2E


1. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - it was funny enough, a few episodes actually made me laugh out loud, so I guess the book provided what I was looking for. However, it's not Bryson's best. His rants about nature being destroyed and acid rain killing everything in its path were a little bit too much for me. I got it the first time, no need to repeat yourself. Bryson still remains one of the writers I will keep reading though. As I mentioned somewhere already, I enjoy his language wizardry.


2. Roseflower Creek by Jackie Lee Miles - a full review will be coming up this month but in the meantime I'll just say, it was a quite depressing read. A lot of characters dying in sad circumstances.


3. Halfway to Each Other by Susan Pohlman - I will attempt to write a review for this one also. Another memoir with traveling involved (A Walk in the Woods was the first one). I enjoyed reading about the Pohlmans' experiences living in Italy and Susan definitely has the knack for writing memoirs.


Right now I'm reading:


A Suitable Boy: A Novel (Perennial Classics)1. A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth - it's going to be a rather long reading project, since this novel is 1349 pages. I wanted to read it for the longest times and I'm glad I finally got myself to do it.







Damaged: A Maggie O'Dell Novel2. Damaged by Alex Kava - I read only one other of her thrillers but I remember it was quite a thrill ride. I'm hoping this one will turn out to be the same.








I want to read by next Monday:


Optimally, I'd want to have 500 pages read from A Suitable Boy and Damaged finished. We'll see how that goes.

What are you reading this week?

7 comments:

  1. I just got Damaged in the mail last week to review. I have not yet read any of this author's work so I am looking forward to it.

    Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Suitable Boy looks good but wow you are right - a reading commitment! Hope you enjoy it :) I have to save the really big reads for winter when things slow down :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Bill Bryson. I agree that A Walk In The Woods isn't the best but it still gave me moments of thinking that hiking the Appalachian Trail might be fun. Since it doesn't sound fun at all when I'm not reading that book, I guess he was persuasive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard good things about Damaged, I want to read it.

    My post

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/07/what-are-you-reading-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard good things about Damaged, I want to read it.

    My post

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/07/what-are-you-reading-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. The length of "The Suitable Boy" is the only thing putting me off of it .. I'd love to see what you think of it when you're done.

    I read and reviewed "Damaged" - it was a very good read - engaging and well written! You'll enjoy it!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    My Monday: http://jewelknits.blogspot.com/2010/07/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-july-5.html

    ReplyDelete