Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lonesome Dove Readalong - Chapters 1-10

Amy from My Friend Amy, together with Leah from Amused by Books and Melissa from Gerbera Daisy Diaries came up with this idea of reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry together over a prolonged period of time. Lonesome Dove is quite a chunkster and since I've had it on my shelf for a long time, I decided it was a great opportunity to jump on the wagon and finally get myself to read this classic. I think the fact that we'll actually be discussing what we read is what appeals to me the most because since I'm going to read a 900+ book, I might as well get something out of it. Anyway, today is the first discussion and if you'd still like to join, My Friend Amy's post has all the details. Amy is also the one to host the first discussion. Her, Leah and Melissa's thoughts on the first 10 chapters can be read in that post.


Lonesome Dove


I decided to answer the questions in my own post. Here it is:

Have you read Lonesome Dove before or watched the movie? If so, why are you interested in revisiting the story? If not, why read it now?




I have never read Lonesome Dove, nor have I watched the movie. To be honest, I am not particularly drawn to western types of books or movies. Then why read this one? Because it is an American classic and I like to consider myself well-read (I know, it's a little bit conceited and not humble at all but it's fun nonetheless) but in order to be at least 10% true to that statement, I think Lonesome Dove is the one book in the western genre that has to be read, if I never read another one in my life.  I know I'm not making much sense. Lonesome Dove is a must-read and that's that.


The beginning feels like a strong set-up of character. Are you particularly drawn to any of the characters and their story?

The beginning feels so strong in setting-up of characters that it actually borders on boring, in my opinion. I want to feel drawn or interested in at least one of the characters but so far I couldn't care less about any of them. I know I wrote that Lonesome Dove must be read in my previous paragraph, but the first 100 pages didn't feel particularly inviting. I really hope it gets better.




What do you like best or feel is strong in the story so far?


Unfortunately, nothing so far. If it weren't a classic and if I didn't commit myself to the readalong, I probably would put Lonesome Dove aside for some later (much later) time.


Melissa, Leah and Amy are truly enjoying this book, a lot, lot more than I am so I take it my view might be a little twisted :). Certainly don't take my word for it and get discouraged if you ever want to read Lonesome Dove, but rather read what the girl have to say about it.

3 comments:

  1. i have it on audio and just had to give up on it after several hours...i thought it was just me! i have read others of his that i did like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think your view is twisted at all...I like it...but I can see where it can be very long winded. I could see in the first chapters where many pages could have edited down quite a bit...but I do like the set up so far and am willing to go along with it. Now, ask me again after chapter 20 what I thinkn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sob. I fell in love with Gus immediately.

    ReplyDelete