Thursday, October 21, 2010

September Reads


I have to say that I exceeded my own reading expectations  in September. Nowadays, I don't have so much time to read as I used to even a year ago, so eight books in one month is a pleasant rarity. The fact that most of the books were fun, quick and engaging stories didn't hurt.
The Language of Trees: A Novel

The best read this month belongs to The Language of Trees by Illie Ruby (the review is coming up soon).It's a surprinigly beautiful debut novel with elements of magic realism and I can't wait to read more from Ms. Ruby.

The King's Mistress: A Novel
Unfortunately, there was also a disappointing read this month, King's Mistress. In the end I liked the book, it wasn't horrible at all but the main character, Alice was just way too sugary sweet for me, as opposed to the real life Alice who was supposedly an evil, conniving character disliked by everyone. I think the book would have been so much more interesting and intriguing, had Ms. Campion retained some of the darker qualities of Alice.


1. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

2. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

3. Proust's Overcoat by Lorenza Foschini

4. King's Mistress by Emma Campion

5. The Palace (St. Germain novel) by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro


6. The Alibi Man by Tami Hoag

7. The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

8. The Language of Trees by Illie Ruby

As a side note, I started hosting another blog, Insanity Tested Daily, dedicated to all the turmoils and joys of my personal life. I'm doing that mainly because I want this blog to return to its original purpose, reading and books only.

6 comments:

  1. I might just be passing on Campion...perhaps

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you had a good reading month, and I think eight novels is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a great reading month, I think I'll keep an eye out for The Language of Trees since it was your favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to read more soon. BTW, pretty good design that site has, but don’t you think it should be changed from time to time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you like The Language of Trees. Making it more hopeful for me.

    I have another book - well author actually who will be contacting you too.

    ReplyDelete