Friday, January 9, 2009

In 2009 I'm breaking my resolution.




Making goals and resolutions for the New Year has always seemed to be in fashion. I also decided to get on the train. For 2009 I am breaking my lifelong resolution to not make any resolutions as a new year comes. 2008 was a bad year for me. It was a classic Murphy’s law coming true in front of my eyes: if something can go wrong, it will. So this year I decided to give making a few resolutions a shot. I figured it won’t hurt to set some goals and then see what happens. Who knows, maybe I’ll even see some of them come to fruition.

1. Get spiritually and emotionally fit. I think that true spirituality have always been lacking in my life. I have also always been jealous of people who managed to be serene, calm and peaceful in the midst of the biggest chaos. Therefore, I started the Spiritually Speaking challenge which I hope will help me with this side of my life. Emotions are another part of me that I never was quite able to keep under control. And funny how it’s always been the wrong ones that manifested the strongest. The good ones kept quiet and very much to themselves somewhere in the corner of my mind, heart or soul. I will be reading The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie to maybe put me on the right track. It’s a first book that will stay with me throughout the whole year since it has meditations for every day. Now, reading these meditation is all nice and dandy but my biggest challenge will be to actually apply them to my life and not let myself think that it’s all BS and drop it.

2. Stand financially on my own two feet. And I’m not even talking ‘financially fit’, just not on crutches. Yes, I do have a profession. Being a freelance translator is something that I actually enjoy. It gives me an opportunity to be also a stay-at-home mom, to go to work in my pj’s and to be pretty much my own boss. Sadly, a freelance translator also means (in my case) a starving translator, having-my- bills-in-collection translator. I know that there are certain steps that I can take to change that and hopefully I will have enough guts to do it.

I know it is only two goals/resolutions. The list is short but I already have breathing problems thinking about them. People say that when you make plans, God laughs. It’s fine with me. I’m glad to keep Him in good spirits as long as He helps me on my path, if only because I give Him reasons to be merry.

9 comments:

  1. I love how you have it narrowed down to a small amount. That's what I am doing this year too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think more than two would be just too much for a beginner like me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am a pro at making them & breaking them...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic goals!! I freelance too and I'm a bit nervous about the year to come. What languages do you translate? You never know when I might be able to send something your way.

    Good luck on your daily meditations. I can never keep up with those kinds of things. I know they are worthwhile and good for me, but I have trouble squeezing just one more thing into my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I translate Polish>English combinations. It's tough going but I know that it can be successful if I only put my all into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great resolutions. I'm so excited for you! Here's to an awesome 2009. :o)

    I know that finances are definitely one of my resolutions, too. I can't wait to see how you do with your spiritual challenge. I've read lots of inspirational, devotional, and spiritual books if you need recs.

    ttys, and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. " People say that when you make plans, God laughs. "

    My husband always says that just when you think you've got things figured out (whatever they are) & think you're finally in control, God laughs and throws a wrench. Just so you keep growing and learning. =) And remember that HE's the Almighty.

    Good luck with your resolutions. Two is great. Just enough to give you something to strive for throughout the year, and yet the sense of accomplishment when you get there - wow. =) Feel free to ping me if you ever want to chat about finances - I've been there. Sometimes all you need is another set of ears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I ever hear of the need for a Polish translator, I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. J. Kaye - that's exactly the reason I never used to make any resolutions: I always knew I would break them.

    Beth F - thank you for wanting to help me out, if a chance occurs, i really appreciate it.

    Smash - I'll definitely be talking to you about some spiritual books, you never know what you'll end up with, there are so many of them

    drey - He is the Almighty, I've always known that but I guess sometimes it's just hard to accept it. I will want to chat with you on the finances, so beware! lol

    ReplyDelete