Sunday, January 4, 2009

My second book in 2009 - HELP!!!!.

I was very excited when the new year came along. At approximately 12:30 am I started reading my first book this year. It was a delight, I finished it the next day. Then I jumped right into the second one thinking "Wow, this year is off to a good start with books, I'll have half of my challenges done in no time!". Well, not really, as it turns out. I will not mention the title or the author but, for the first time in many years I did not finish a book. The biggest dilemma I am facing right now is if I should post a review or just completely forget about it. The book was sent to me from a publisher asking to review it and then post a Q&A segment on my blog. I have nothing good to say about this novel (I'm not even sure it deserves to be called that) so should I stick to the rule that if I have nothing nice to say, I don't say anything at all? What I'm thinking about doing is just letting the publisher know how I feel about this book and let him decide. But maybe you guys, as more experienced bloggers and reviewers, have some words of wisdom for me.

5 comments:

  1. I am not a very experienced blogger or reviewer. But, I just thought I would put my thoughts in. I do review for Simon Pulse. I got a book once that wasn't bad, but I didn't really like it. So, I gave the review the way I saw it. I don't think that all they want is just happy, too sweet reviews telling how the book is awesome. If you thought it was bad, just state it. Now, I would be say that it was TERRIBLE and you burned it or anything like that. But, they did ask you to review it. I think you should do just that...

    Do what you feel is best though. If you aren't comfortable giving a "not-so-good" response to their book, then don't. You'll make the best decision for yourself...

    Sorry you read a bad book though... I hate it when that happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woops... *wouldn't*

    not would... haha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Charissanh. I will send an email to the publisher and then if they give me a go I guess I'll post the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just have to find that right balance of honesty and tact. I think emailing your contact is a great first step.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm worried this is the same book I'm getting to review this month... Hmm. Email me the name of it. :o)

    Honestly, I would post the review. Say that you realize where they were going and what they were trying, but it wasn't your style.

    Because it's an ARC I would be kinder than say if it's a book I had just bought at B&N, but my blog is honest and always has been. Hope that helps.

    How have you been, by the way? Sorry I haven't emailed you - I just got swamped with the holidays.

    ReplyDelete