Tuesday, November 3, 2009

No Wind of Blame by Georgette Heyer

It’s already November, the end of year is near and I can safely speak about who my favorite awesome writer discovery is this year. It is undoubtedly, definitely Georgette Heyer. I am completely taken by this author of mysteries and historical romances and also extremely happy that luck was on my side and I did get to know about her, considering that I had lived on this planet for 31 years (20 of which having been a total bookworm) before I laid my hands on the books of Ms. Heyer. It is therefore not going to be a surprise to you to learn that No Wind of Blame was yet another hit for me.

Wally Carter provided all who knew him many reasons to want to kill him and the list includes his overly dramatic wife, absurdly theatrical stepdaughter and a newly acquainted phony Russian prince who isn’t really Russian and has no princely belongings. However, the fact that everyone had a motive is not what complicates the case of Mr. Carter’s murder. It’s not why but how he was killed that Inspector Hemingway has to figure out first because none of the suspects were anywhere near the murder weapon when it was used to fire the deadly shot. Now Inspector Hemingway has quite a cast of characters to deal with before the guilty party is found and how he gets to interrogate the suspects makes up for one hilarious read.

I honestly cannot praise Heyer’s talent at writing mysteries enough. No Wind of Blame my fourth Heyer mystery I read this year and they just keep getting better for me. On the surface it is a cozy whodunit read in the same field as Agatha Christie’s books. And as such it already would have been enjoyable enough. What makes this book extra special for me is the clever dialogue showing off the absurdity of some human characters and the hilarious comedy of manners. Ms. Heyer will provide you with tons of laughs if only you’ll give it a chance. At least I couldn’t stop myself from bursting out laughing every once in a while. And boy did I need it! I think it takes a special kind of author to write intelligent, hysterical mysteries that provide just the right mixture of entertainment and secrets to keep a reader intrigued and hooked until the last page. I also think that Georgette Heyer is that special kind of author and No Wind of Blame is that special kind of book.

*********
Special Thanks to Danielle J. from Sourcebooks, Inc. for sending me a copy of this book for review.

6 comments:

  1. Georgette Heyer books are so fun! I think I've only read her "romances" though, so I might have to try a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this one too! And so far it's a riot- just love Heyer! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I who still haven't read a single one. I really should read Heyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a Georgette Heyer virgin. Must remedy that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, for barging in like this, but just wanted to say how lovely blog you have here, both visually and by its content :)
    Love, Dezz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read any Georgette Heyer but I just bought one of her books and checked one out from the library, so hopefully I am able to get to them soon!

    ReplyDelete