Saturday, November 21, 2009

Weekly Geeks: Top Ten


Weekly Geeks asks us today:

For the second year in a row, we're asking book bloggers to help put together a top 10 list of books published in 2009.

I encourage you to read the whole post Jackie wrote because it is very interesting and it talks about the originator of Weekly Geeks, our dear Dewey. It also explains in details how the Top Ten list should be put together. It is pretty much made out of the best books we have read published in 2009 (no re-issues). When I first read it I actually thought I would not be able to come up with 10 titles deserving the spot of the best ones. I did however, quite easily too.

One thing I would like you all to keep in mind is that some of these titles, while on the top published-in-2009 list, would probably not make it on the top ten books read in 2009. But they are still great books worth your time and attention.

Finally just to give you some perspective and a bigger picture: in 2009 I read a total of 52 books published in 2009, therefore the ten I put together beat 42 other contenders.

And now, taa daaa (meaning, the list)*:

1. A Child's Journey Out of Autism by Leeann Whiffen - memoir

2. The Traitor's Wife by Susan Higginbotham - historical fiction

3. BoneMan's Daughters by Ted Dekker - thriller

4. Afraid by Jack Kilborn - horror

5. Finding Grace by Donna VanLiere - inspirational memoir

6. A Lucky Child by Thomas Buergenthal - memoir

7. Follow Me by Joanna Scott - contemporary American fiction

8. Worst Nightmares by Shane Briant - horror/thriller

9. Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd & Ann Kidd Taylor - memoir

10. A Circle of Souls by Preetham Grandhi - thriller

* The books are listed in order I read them

7 comments:

  1. I just got BoneMan's Daughter. Glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO qualified (compared to lil ol me) for contributing to this list. Altho, I do hope my TOP book published this year is deserving of a mention in the final list: The Help. So good! I'm impressed you read 52 books from 09? wow. I think I will put the Briant or Kilborn book on next year's RIP tbr and I have my eye on the Kidd book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing that you have read so many new books! I could never do that as I always wait until I can get them cheap (I have to add 6-8 $ for shipping per book).

    Happy Thanksgiving to you - we do not celebrate it in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only heard of the Sue Monk Kidd memoir but I haven't read it yet. My list is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a small thing, but the name is Jackie, not Jacqueline. Thanks!

    Great list of novels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read 9 books published in 2009 but you reminded me that The Traitor's Wife is in my TBR pile.......must read.....

    ReplyDelete