Friday, November 6, 2009

October Reads


Wow! October was an awesome month as far as my reading goes, even with managing to read only one book during the read-a-thon. 10 books in a month is my monthly goal and I wish I could meet it every month. I am certainly happy I did this month. And most of the reads were really, really good which is another plus (and maybe also the reason why I managed to read all ten, lol!).


1. To Serve Them All My Days by R. F. Delderfield - a really, really enjoyable HF about a teacher in England and the country between the wars.

2. Trail of Crumbs by Kim Sunee - a book club read (my month to lead the discussion and the title was my suggestion) that I guess I am glad I read, it was easy enough to go through but the author annoyed the hell out of me.

3. The Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes - another enjoyable HF read, this time about the end of War of Roses and the beginning of Tudor dynasty.

4. Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd & Ann Kidd Taylor - a mother/daughter memoir about life changes and traveling, for some reason made me cry quite a few times

5. Always Watching by Brandilyn Collins & Amberly Collins - another mother/daughter team but this time it's a YA mystery in the Christian fiction stream. I am glad I read it and will be recommending it to my daughter when the time comes.

6. A Flickering Light by Jane Kirkpatrick - HF with photography in early 20th century America as one of the main subjects, despite not having a major interest in photography I did enjoy the book.

7. Across the Endless River by Thad Carhart - I liked this one but I wasn't overly impressed with it. Being a 'chunkster junkie', I would appreciate the story to be longer as the whole book seemed rushed.

8. Sliverstein & Me by Merv Gold - a memoir about about one of the most famous children poets that tastefully reveals he was a lot more than just that.

9. A Circle of Souls by Preetham Grandhi - a captivating psychological thriller from a debut writer.

10. No Wind of Blame by Georgette Heyer - I just love her murder mysteries, if ever a want a good laugh I know where to turn.

11. Dragon House by John Shors (did not finish) - I wanted to look past certain blatant political statements of the writer but I couldn't. I am a reader who when reaches out for a fiction book expects fiction and not political commentary on how bad America is and how many lives we've ruined by fighting wars. I wrote a little more on Goodreads if you click on the link.

Audio Books:

1. Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr - I think the worst of the three, I simply could not stand Aislinn who is one of the weakest, most indecisive, afraid to offend even the worst enemy queen I have ever read about.

2. Requiem for a Mezzo by Carola Dunne - I found out about this little gem of a writer on Beth Fish Reads blog and I was right to follow the recommendation. Ms. Dunne is another crime mystery British writer that is earning her way to my favorite authors' list.

3. The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong - I believe this one came as a recommendation from Teddyree's blog The Eclectic Reader and it's another one I am glad I followed. One of the best YA paranormal stories (part of a series, which I'm very happy about) I have read.

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful month of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilly..you read a lot of books that have sounded good to me and are on my TBR list. I liked, but not loved Dragon House, and I just started listening to Traveling With Pomegranates and seem to be able to relate to this story in part.

    have a good November as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome month of reading you had. So glad you enjoyed The Summoning, I'm hanging out for The Reckoning :-)
    I think I might add A Circle of Souls to my wishlist, I know you really enjoyed it and I love psychological thrillers.

    Hope this month is just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to have introduced you to a new author! Now I have some new ones to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilly there's some blog love waiting for you at my place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have read some great books this month! I love the sound of Travelling with Pomegranites - especially if it can make you cry. Emotion is such an important thing for me. I'll keep an eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and will be sure to call again now I've found it.
    All the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Summoning too!
    I just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award over at my blog! http://hookedonyabooks.blogspot.com/2009/11/bunch-of-awards-d.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Congrats on your monthly accomplishments!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sure did have a good month of reading! I still have to do my updates. I'm a little behind with some things. I sure hope I like Dragon House more than you did as I'll be reading it next month. lol.

    ReplyDelete