Saturday, December 13, 2008

'The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature' by Elizabeth Kantor, Ph.D.


I can’t believe that I completely forgot about having ‘The Politically Incorrect Guide to English and American Literature’ in my library! I had read it before, as soon as I bought it, but then I have been filling my library up with so many other books that this one just got lost in them. I am glad that I found it again though. It is a gem of a book and for anyone who is interested in serious reading (which we all are, that’s why we blog about it :-) ) it is a must. Ms. Kantor serves us with quite a few brain teasers and I found myself exclaiming several times: ‘What! That’s baloney!’ or ‘I can’t believe it!’. However, the more I thought about more controversial issues, the more I started thinking there might be something to it. At the very least, things written about Shakespeare, Dickens or Austen provided me with a renewed interest in classic literature and an eagerness to reread it all with a new outlook. Some of the best parts of the book are what the actual professors from nationally accredited colleges and universities are teaching the poor students. I think that were the parts that got my blood boiling slightly.
Anyway, the content of the book certainly measures up to the title and I highly recommend it to all readers because we are nothing if we’re not politically incorrect. That’s why I treasure the art of writing. It is probably the only area of our lives where we truly can write whatever we want to without the fear of censorship (true, the author might not score big bucks but I still believe that money is not the reason why people write and best literature is always written as art for art’s sake).

No comments:

Post a Comment