Thursday, June 4, 2009

May Reads

May was not the greatest month ever as it comes to reading. In May, I read the fewest book in the whole year. It was due to many issues, health problems being the main ones but not the only ones. My biggest disappointment was The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins. I expected so much more than I got out of it. I realize that I am in the minority here but I really wasn’t crazy about this book at all. One good thing I have to say is that May was the month of historical fiction since only one book out of the nine was not historical or fiction (Nine Ways God Always Speaks – review coming up soon). Here’s to hoping that this month will be better!

1. The Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier

2. The Unfinished Clue by Georgette Heyer

3. Why Shoot the Butler by Georgette Heyer

4. The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins

5. Two Brothers by David H. Jones

6. Nine Ways God Always Speaks by Mark Herringshaw & Jennifer Schuchmann

7. My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier

8. Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer

9. Blessed Are The Meek by Zofia Kossak

Audio Books:

1. Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (I think I am in minority here since I actually liked Wicked Lovely better than this one. I liked it enough though to want to listen to Fragile Eternity next).

2. Twenty Seven Bones by Jonathan Nasaw (review coming up soon).

9 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed that next month is a better month for you, health wise and reading wise.
    I read 10 for the month and gee it was a struggle getting them done. I would love to be reading 15 but hey life keeps getting in the way LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have read some good books :)
    I really have to try de Maurier

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily, just wanted to say hello and that I luv the new look for your blog. I get RE sent to my yahoo email so I haven't actually seen your blog in awhile. Also very jealous that you got to go to the BEA in NY :D
    I've been hearing about it on the web-sounds like a lot of fun and excitement :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you did great. I can't imagine anything better than Wicked Lovely in audio, but I'm going to listen to Ink Exchange very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice reads - I've also been into Heyer a lot lately. Here's to feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this month will be a much better month healthwise for you and reading although you did a good job in May considering. It's too bad about Woman in White. I have that one on my shelf because I've heard so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked The Woman in White, but like other books of that time it is a ´slow´ story. It takes long time to digest it, and one has to have a certain interest in the period, I think. As an English teacher, I like learning something about the Victorian era while reading a crime novel, but I wouldn´t want to read Collins every week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you still had a great month to me. Hope you're feeling better about June. :)

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete