Monday, June 29, 2009

It's Monday and it's time for...Borrowed Words


Boy, oh boy! I am officially in a reading and blogging rut. I am simply in a rut altogether. Things seem to spin out of control and are not going well at all. There is too much to be explained and a lot of it can't be even put to words. I just have a little, tiny glimmer of hope that it will pass and that better days are ahead. It had happened before many times and it will pass and it will happen again. It's my personal life struggle, we all have them, they're all different but they're there. I am asking you all to stick with me if possible because I do not want to abandon this blog, probably the only thing in a long time that has given me contentment. Anyway, the poem I am posting today is one very dear to me, one I wish I had known before I entered adult life as it holds simple wisdom. It's long but bear with it because it's beautiful. I give you words borrowed from Max Ehrmann:


Desiderata


Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,

and remember what peace there may be in silence.


As far as possible, without surrender,

be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;

and listen to others,

even to the dull and the ignorant;

they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons;

they are vexatious to the spirit.


If you compare yourself with others,

you may become vain or bitter,

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;

it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.


Exercise caution in your business affairs,

for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;

many persons strive for high ideals,

and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.

Neither be cynical about love,

for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,

it is as perennial as the grass.


Take kindly the counsel of the years,

gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.


Beyond a wholesome discipline,

be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe

no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,

no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.


Therefore be at peace with God,

whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations,

in the noisy confusion of life,

keep peace in your soul.


With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,

it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

6 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower. What a wonderful poem! Hang in there as my mom says - "this too shall pass".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily....Yes "The Prophet. I LOVE this one so much.

    I am sorry you are going through a rough time in your life; we are here for you. Seek medical help if needed please. Wishing you sunny, happy days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to that. Jeremiah 29:11

    Bev
    merryweather

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my absolutely all-time favorite poem! I found it as a young adult in college & believe these are words to live by. I carry a copy of it on a pocket card & read it whenever I need a lift or just because I have some quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Lilly, sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it. Know that I and your fellow girls at TGOB are here for you if you need us.

    Thinking of you,
    Moira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missed your Borrowed Words for Monday Lily-hope all is well. This is a quote that always makes me smile when life turns things upside:

    "It's always something." Gilda Radner

    Hugs~

    Bev
    Merry Weather

    ReplyDelete