Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Nine Ways God Always Speaks by Mark Herringshaw & Jennifer Schuchmann

I am one of the people who yearn for spiritual peace but get instead spiritual turmoil. There have been times in my life when I was absolutely certain of my faith and of God’s existence, and His benevolent love towards me. Then, there have been times when I lost all my faith in a loving God (although I never lost my belief that God does indeed exist) and replaced with thoughts of Him being there for others but not for me. My difficult spiritual life, my quest for peace and contentment is probably my biggest struggle. It is therefore no wonder that I quickly reach for books such as Nine Ways God Always Speaks that may offer me some insight, something I can always hold on to, especially in times when I turn into ‘doubting Thomas’.

Nine Ways God Always Speaks by Mark Herringshaw & Jennifer Schuchmann is exactly what the title says it is: nine ways in which God communicates His will and existence to us. Each chapter directs reader’s attention to quite often very simple occurrences that might very well be in front of us all the time but we just don’t see them. We want to hear God speak to us and are so concentrated on looking for the mystical experiences that we don’t notice the everyday, ordinary events and surroundings such as nature or people we meet or we blatantly refuse to acknowledge that they are God’s messengers (even though they might not know it themselves). One interesting aspect was that God speaks to us via dreams. Dreams are still subject of many tests, analyses and theories and it was very curious for me to read about God sending us messages while we’re sleeping. Considering the serious and important premise of the book, I think that above all it was very entertaining and quite humorous. Mark and Jennifer did their best to convey the message of many people they came across by making this book very enjoyable and approachable despite the seriousness of the topic.


Was it all convincing to me? I’m not sure. Reading this book was a mini example of the struggle I talked about in the beginning. I would all of a sudden start looking for messages from God in nature after a particular chapter only to get discouraged after not finding anything that would apply directly to me. Some chapters would fill me with hope and others with complete despair. I want to believe that one of the ways God speaks is giving people like Mark & Jennifer a talent for writing and inspiration to write such a book as Nine Ways God Always Speaks. In turn, the finished product will end up in the hands of a person who desperately needs to hear the exact words that are written there. Who knows, maybe one of my blog visitors is such a person. I can objectively see how this book has a potential to open people’s minds and eyes to what’s around them and teach them how to tune in to the right frequency. Now, subjectively speaking, Nine Ways God Always Speaks added just nine more ways God does not speak to me. Sadly it did not have any revelatory value for me, only caused me to be even more discouraged. When I read about all these people, including the authors, experiencing the ‘eureka!’ moments all I felt was anger with a tinge of jealousy. It’s all nice and dandy for them but I have yet to find that crucial moment in my life where I feel the presence of God and which will influence the course of my life. I realize that I may be wallowing in self-pity here, but hey, I’m honest and I will not pretend that my life changed completely or at all after having read this book if it didn’t.

7 comments:

  1. Lilly -

    I enjoyed reading your thoughts on my book. I have to say that even those of us who've had a few "eureka" moments of God still have doubts as to whether God speaks to us. But it is through having faith that he does, that he wants to communicate with us, and that he is constantly reaching out to us that occasionally we catch a glimpse of him, which sometimes leads to a real encounter.

    As you know from reading the book, like you I was skeptical that God spoke through dreams despite the fact that the Bible gives many examples of this. But after one particularly vivid dream, somewhat skeptically, I asked him if he was trying to tell me something, what would it be? You know the answer as you have read the book. At first, I didn't think it was God at all, I thought it was my mind playing tricks, but a few days later I got a phone call and the dream came to mind and I began to see that God was using that dream...

    If you are having trouble hearing from God, I would encourage you to just stop for a moment and just for a second believe that he is talking to you right now. Then take a silent moment and say to God, "If you are talking to me right now what would you be saying?" Then see if something comes to mind or if a person says something that has meaning. Then just for a moment, believe that it is really him talking to you.

    I for one, think that the fact that I am leaving this message for you is a sign from God as I am currently traveling for two weeks in Europe and I haven't read any blogs while I have been gone except for this post on yours.

    Is that a coincidence? Or is it God connecting us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always asking myself is it God or just coincidence. The book sounds interesting and will have to check it out. Glad to hear your thoughts and will keep an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I have had periods of time in my life where I was 100% sure about God and his presence and his presence in my life and I have had times (like now) where I feel God has abandoned me. Or actually I have gone father and I am not even 100% sure anymore of his presence period.

    I was hopeful when I began reading your review that this book might change that for me, but it doesn't look like it will. I'm not into the preachy kind of stuff either so it is hard to find anything that speaks to me. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving your comment on this post. It doesn't happen often and I therefore appreciate it so much more.
    I am sorry for taking my sweet time with responding but I actually had to read your comment a few times and think what you wrote over because I just didn't know what to say in response. I tried what you suggested and I think that maybe my mind is just too stubborn or in the way of God speaking because I am still having troubles. But it also may be because I am going through one of the toughest times in my life right now and for some people times like that are probably the most difficult as far as faith goes. I want to believe that it's all for the better, I even have the quote from your book on my screensaver and I try to apply it to my life right now. It's just very hard but maybe without God, if a was an atheist (which I never was and never will be) it would be even harder. Here's the quote I am talking about: "I know what's best for you, and I love you enough to do what's best. Even when it hurts." It's beautiful and it gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin: I think this book has a great potential to help people out, especially seekers who don't take things for granted. I'm also happy to hear that you liked what you read and it may have convinced you to try this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca: I am very sorry to hear that you are going through such difficult times right now. I am not a happy camper myself so I thought that maybe we could help each other get through whatever it is we need to get through. I can send you this book so despite what you or I might think you can read it and decide for yourself, and maybe even it will strengthen your faith. If you want to please do email me so we can chat, sometimes it helps to just talk to a person that's not involved just to get things off your chest. If you want that I would be very happy to hear you out and share my problems too.

    ReplyDelete