Thursday, September 10, 2009

August Reads

Wow! I can't believe that summer has come and gone. It was a very weird time for me this year. Usually I look forward to the summer time but this time I am glad it's over. I also find myself liking autumn more and more. Or, at least the month of September when the temperatures are breezy 70's and 60's, the sun is still shining and the leaves start turning colors. Because the months of July and August did not allow me for a lot of 'me' time, I couldn't read a lot of books. But the ones I did read in August were satisfying enough.


1. Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts - part one in the Circle of Six trilogy and my first Nora Roberts' experience, even though not in the genre that made her famous.

2. Blood On His Hands by Mark P. Sadler - a promising debut thriller and I will definitely be looking for more from this author.

3. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton - I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would after having watched the dreadful movie by the same title.

4. Cell by Stephen King - what can I say, it's King! I'm not gonna lie, he is my fave and I have yet to read a book of his I didn't enjoy.

5. From a Whisper to a Scream by Charles de Lint - a surprise horror from an author I have always thought to be a sci-fi writer, but a successful genre transition nonetheless.

6. The Case Has Altered by Martha Grimes - I have a special fondness for British detective mysteries that are part of a series (think P.D. James, M.C. Beaton, Elizabeth George) and I am very thrilled to find that Martha Grimes doesn't disappoint and there are plenty of books featuring Richard Jury yet to be read by me, yay!

7. Threshold by Bonnie Kozek - that was a tough book to read. It was a very fine, hard-boiled thriller but not for everyone, since there is a lot of shocking violence (even for me) and while I liked it, I will have to wait quite a while before I am ready to read another one of this kind.


9 comments:

  1. Is The Case has Altered your first Martha Grimes?
    I have read a handful of them, and they are a bit similar, but once in a while I read one and really enjoy the cozy, British atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had had more of a summer here in Montreal...anyway, I usually do a lot of reading in the summer, but sadly this wasn't the case this time-can't say why either. I'm hoping to read a lot more this fall though(seems like I'm changing pattern..just like the seasons;)
    You did well:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Georgia- it's hot as god-knows-what and if it cools a little, the mosquitoes show up like vampires. I am so ready for falling leaves...
    This is the second positive review for Stephen King's Cell I have read in an hour--on the TBR it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've commented before that I'm so with you on Cell, totally loved it. I'm going to check out Threshold too. I've just read the sickest, most violent horror called Once Upon a Nightmare by Lee Moylan, geez it was good if you like that sort of thing, must do review soon lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you think the movie "The Age of Innocence" was bad, you should see "The House of Mirth"...Dreadful. Edith Wharton writes great stuff, but most of her movies are awful. Except "The Old Maid" with Bette Davis, that was a novella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be addicted to Martha Grimes. I really should read some of her newer books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Lilly! I'll read The Age of Innocence soon. I decided to read more classics next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Age of Innocence is one of my favorite books. I love Edith Wharton.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Though you didn't have as much reading time, I still think 7 is a good number. Hope you're getting more reading time this month!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete