Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme, started by Bermudaonion where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun.

I have a couple of words from my current read, God Is An Englishman by R.F. Delderfield, which I had no idea existed but it was fun to find out what they meant.



1. Jerrybuilder - someone who builds cheap buildings out of poor materials on speculation for a quick profit

2. Salubrious – favorable to or promoting health; healthful.


How they are used in the book:

After that the jerrybuilders had swarmed in to run up their rows of back-to-back streets that often bore pastoral names but were, for all that, salubrious than the foetid alleys that ran inland from the wharves of Wapping and Rotherithe.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard jerrybuilder but I've heard jerryrigging - I wonder if the two are related. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too didn't know about jerrybuilder.

    And yes, ersatz is of German origin. I added that to my post.

    Wondrous Words Wednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn´t know jerrybuilder either.

    I enjoyed octogenarian in a novel yesterday. I knew it, but haven´t heard it often. My daughter started reading the book after me, and she also loved that word.

    ReplyDelete