Monday, September 21, 2009

Weekly Geeks: How I fight the bloggers' block.

This Weekly Geeks gets deep:

This past week wrapped up Book Blogger Appreciation Week, in which I'm sure many of you participated. In two weeks will be Banned Books Week, in which I'm sure some of you also will participate. I'm also sure that many of you participated, and will participate, with at least a post per day, if not more, on your respective blogs.

Personally, after such weeks, I feel almost burnt out and think, "Why am I doing this? I'm not getting paid for this." Do you ever feel the same way after weeks like the ones mentioned above? If you do, what do you to counter it? How do you keep going? Do you take a break from posts after that, or do you just "soldier on"?

Or if you don't feel burnt out after such weeks, why not? Also why are you a book blogger? From what I've seen and experienced, it's certainly not the fame or the glory that you get. So what is it? Why? Why? Why?

I have once written a post explaining in length my reasons for blogging about books. So far, they still stand.I specify that it's book blogging because, truthfully I don't think I could write about anything else. It's my passion for books and the need to be accepted and understood by fellow book lovers that is the driving force behind my blogging. Because of my introverted personality, I could never actually open up to anyone standing in front of me and start talking about reading and books, not to mention actually recommending anything. Virtual reality makes it easier and almost effortless in terms of my mental reservations.

Now, do I feel burnt out? You bet I do. I have also written about that and just burning out in life in general. For me, life is a daily struggle in many ways. Blogging has become part of my life, just like reading. I stop and think about futility of writing posts about books read or waiting to be read countless times. I call it my 'dark hour of the blogger's soul'. So far, I haven't given up. I hope I will not give in to that temptation ever. How do I manage to keep blogging? Besides my life being a struggle, it is also a mountain of things and projects I undertook and never finished. A lot of them glare at me as my personal failures. Every time I wrestle with the idea of abandoning this blog, I tell myself that I will make it work this time, I will stick with it and I will not let it be another failure.

Well, there it is. It's gotten awfully personal and slightly depressing but I hope you don't mind.

11 comments:

  1. I am very glad I's a small fry and intend to stay that way. I can't even keep up with all those memes that are flooding my reader on a daily basis. Just do what's right for you or you won't have enough time to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many moments where I feel overwhelmed and I just want to quit blogging altogether. I step back and take a deep breath....and remind myself why I started in the first place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is very important to blog in a way and to an extent that suits you (and not anyone else).

    If you blog when you like, about what you like, I think a blog can give you satisfaction and lots of good experiences instead of being a drain. Good luck to you on finding a balance that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I continually have to push myself to keep blogging, to keep reviewing, to keep participating.
    I find it a challenge and it's not that I don't love these things, because I do.
    It's just that I know myself well enough now that if I gave in to many of my feelings I would do absolutely nothing!

    That's not to say that you can't take a break if you are completely overwhelmed. I like how you blog Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aside of the free books - I love blogging and bloggers because it's creative, honest, filled with emotion and somewhat yes, at time
    competitive. It's hard to keep up the pace but it's really a pace that I've set up for myself. If I wanted to pull the plug tomorrow I could and have actually been tempted from time to time to do just that. But this is something I love to do and keep doing it until for some (good) reason I can't anymore. Blogging is like chocolate-you may get too much of it from time to time but you never stop loving chocolate : D

    ReplyDelete
  6. My post on this subject kind of wandered into the personal and slightly depressing territory, too. I, too, suffer the occasional "dark hour of the blogger's soul" and contemplate packing it all in, but I (too?) have a nasty habit of starting things and then just wandering off and leaving them lying about sad, pathetic, and fail-ish, and for that and many other even better reasons, I'd hate to let my blog go by the wayside during one of those times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only started blogging in July and I felt exhausted and burnt out after BBAW. It was a lot of fun but I get tired sirring at the computer and reading or typing for very long periods of time. And some of the things that are discussed, well, sometimes it almost seems like com,petition for followers, or to review the right books, to get ARCs or free copies in the mail etc.
    Fortunately in my old age I have learned to do what I want and need to do and things will work out.

    I like interacting with other people and discussing books. I don't belong to any book clubs right now and, although I've belonged to good book clubs, I find blogging a more comprehensive connection to books and book lovers/addicts. That's what I like best about it.
    I hope you keep blogging Lilly =o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Overcoming the "dark hour of the blogger's soul" is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Lilly! Thanks for sharing your insights about this issue.

    I do have blogger's block every now and then. However, I discovered that when I don't make a post (even a short one), it feels like my day isn't complete.

    ReplyDelete