Sunday, September 27, 2009

My "Reading" Bucket List


Pam from Bookalicio.us came up with a kind of meme where we would list 10 books we think should be read before we die. I decided to join in the fun but I wanted to find ten best books to still read instead of the ones which I have already read and think others should. (Does that even make sense?). Anyway, to make the long story even longer, I grabbed a book that has been sitting on my bookshelf for the longest times, The Top Ten Writers Pick Their Favorite Books, edited by J. Peder Zane and compiled my "bucket" list from the titles that were mentioned the most frequently. Here's what I came up with (or rather what the writers came up with and I just stole):

1. Rabbit Angstrom novels by John Updike

2. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

3. Middlemarch by George Eliot

4. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

5. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

6. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

7. The Red and the Black by Stendhal

8. Clarissa by Samuel Richardson

9. The Raj Quartet by Paul Scott

10. I, Claudius by Robert GravesJust in case you're curious, some of the authors whose lists I took the titles from include: Stephen King, Francine Prose, Joyce Carol Oates and John Irving.
I am actually planning to really stick to this list and read these ten books. I only hope that I can put it away till next year (meaning, I won't kick the bucket, lol!) because I have so many review books to read and other challenges' books for this year that I couldn't possibly fit another list in.

Share/Bookmark