Thursday, December 31, 2009

BTT: 2009 In Review


I haven't participated in Booking Through Thursday for the longest time. But today is the last day of the year and I want to end the year right :) by participating in the last edition of a meme that I actually enjoy very much.

It’s the last day of the year, and you know what that means … nostalgia and looking back.

What were your favorite books of the year? (Books that were new to you in 2009, if not necessarily published this year.)



I have read many good books this year but they were mostly older ones or titles reissued by publishers. The order in which I present them to you is alphabetical by author, not a ranking, because I couldn't quite decide which of these books were the absolute best.


1. Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier

2. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

3. To Serve Them All My Days by R.F. Delderfield

4. Behold, Here's Poison by Georgette Heyer

5. The Traitor's Wife by Susan Higginbotham

6. Follow Me by Joanna Scott

7. Lucky by Alice Sebold

8. The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace Stegner


Also, since we're on a subject of picking the best of the best I need to mention two more things:

My three favorite authors this year are Daphne du Maurier, Georgette Heyer and R. F. Delderfield. Also, my favorite publisher is Sourcebooks, Inc. It is thanks to their idea of reissuing the books of these fantastic writers that I got a chance to read them.

15 comments:

  1. I've only read one of your books! I really want to read one of Susan Higginbotham's books though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list Lilly! I really enjoyed Frenchman's Creek and The Traitor's Wife as well. I read Lucky years ago and remember liking it too.

    I hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year! All the best to you in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Rebecca eons ago; it truly deserves its status as a classic.

    I think it's neat you have a favorite publisher, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed The Traitor's Wife, Lilly! Have a great 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did well this year! I haven't read any of those.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved Rebecca, and thought Lucky was painful. Lilly...hope that you have a Happy and Healthy New Year. May all they books that your read in 2010 be terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! The only one I have read is Rebecca. It was great, wasn't it? It still stands out in my mind, 30 years later. :-)

    Happy new Year, Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Lilly! Happy New Year to you and your family! I wish you more books, more reading, and more blogging this 2010!

    2009 was also the year I rediscovered Daphne du Maurier. After reading her stories, I just bought Jamaica Inn and The Scapegoat, which I hope to read this month!

    Oh, and by the way, I have read The Hunger Games, and Catching Fire too. While they were really entertaining reads, I think The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and the Answer was better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lilly! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. If you want to try Wilkie Collins again, I would suggest The Moonstone - a lot more plot and a lot less padding around the story, it is a lot easier to get into than his others, and this is one of my favorite books.

    Your list looks interesting - although I have to say I haven't read any! I have seen the movie for Rebecca, and am dying to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some good choices even if I am yet to read any of those books. But I will give Higginbottom a go this year.

    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read Rebecca since high school. I really should revisit it soon.

    My Best and Worst of 2009 is HERE

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great list, Lilly. I have been meaning to read Lucky but haven't managed to get to it yet. I also really need to read something by Daphne du Maurier. I keep hearing such good things about her books.

    Have a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always better to have read so many good books it's hard to choose the best than have read a ton of mediocre books.

    Happy new year!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love du Maurier, and Frenchman's Creek is next on my list of books to read by her, so I was really excited to see that in your post. :) I remember reading Sebold's memoir years ago in college, and it was so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice sounding list! Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete