Saturday, December 5, 2009

Show Me 5 Saturday



Ali from That's a Novel Idea has this cool meme which I decided to peruse when I am too lazy to write an actual review or simply don't think I have enough ideas to share about a book to create a cohesive post. Mind you, this will not have anything to do with the quality of the book.

Each Saturday You will post the answer to these questions. The number indicates the number of answers you will provide.

1. Book you read and/or reviewed this week

2. Words that describe the book

3. Settings where it took place or characters you met

4. Things you liked and/or disliked about it

5. Stars or less for your rating

1. The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale.

2. Women's Fiction

3. a) a Mormon wife and mother of four children, Becky;

b) her incredibly understanding and loving husband, Mike

c) a Hollywood celebrity and a British hearthrob, Felix Callahan

4. a) I liked Mike and wish that majority of husbands were that understanding in regards to their wives' friendships with very, very handsome male actors who used to be innocent secret crushes before having become so close;

b) I liked that Becky was really devoted to her marriage, loved her family and truly did appreciate how lucky and blessed she was being married to her true love and having four healthy, wonderful children;

c) I disliked the complete improbability and complete absurdity of the whole premise, I just couldn't make myself treat the book more seriously than as a simple chick lit;

d) I disliked the fact that I couldn't identify myself with any aspect of Becky's life despite being a mother and a wife myself; Becky is a picture-perfect of a housewife, loves baking pies, is a wonderful understanding mother who never loses control or goes temporarily insane; Becky pretty much is an ideal housewife and it made me feel a little guilty that I never was or will be anywhere near this model.

5. I would give it 3 stars if I were a rating kind of person.

4 comments:

  1. That husband must be extremely secure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool meme...
    I have an award for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy. I think it's not a good thing when a book holds up an image of life so unrealistic and fantastical. A little reality is nice too! :-) An escapist read should NOT make you feel inadequate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Lilly! What an interesting meme! Somehow, it makes reviewing books a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete