Thursday, April 8, 2010

BTT: Plotting


Today's Booking Through Thursday asks us this:

Plots? Or Stream-of-Consciousness? Which would you rather read?
Hands down plots or at least writings that at least have some structure to them, even if there isn't necessarily any real plot.

Ulysses (Penguin Modern Classics)I tried reading stream-of-consciousness once and I swear, it's not only hard to get anything out of it but I actually for the first and last time ever dreaded picking up a book to read it.  I had to write a thesis for my Bachelor's Degree and for some ungodly reason I picked James Joyce to work on. I did fine with Dubliners and Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man but when it came to Ulysses, I began to doubt my sanity. In the end, I did read the whole book but if you ask me anything about it, I would be drawing a blank.

The thing of it is, I hate chaos and stream-of-consciousness is chaos for me.