Sunday, April 4, 2010

What will be my permanent "About Me" page

Writing about myself is probably one of the hardest things for me to do. I am a typical introvert and prefer being alone to socializing. The only form of the latter occurs in virtual reality, as I find it much easier to meet and interact with people if I don’t have to physically be surrounded by them. I am also one those people who does things others would never expect them to do. Countless times, instead of hearing “I knew you could do it” I hear “Of all the people I know, you are the last person…” I also do not display many female personality traits. I hate cooking, I hate shopping, I feel very uncomfortable around children (with an exception of my own) and besides reading, I have absolutely no hobbies (no knitting, crocheting, quilting and such for me) and I am not in the least interested in latest fashions (I consider my brain my most fitting accessory).

As far as my background goes, I am a native of Poland and I came to the U.S. 8 years ago. Right now, I have a privilege of holding two citizenships: Polish and American. I am 32 years old (I don’t mind telling my age, I actually never understood the need for a woman not to reveal it), I have a beautiful 11-year-old daughter Karolina, 2-month-old son Aleksander and I have been with my second husband for seven years. My first marriage didn’t work out but I have no regrets because it gave me my girl, the greatest gift I could ever dream of.  Because I am a loner and have many issues of mental nature with which people around me and I have to struggle daily, my second marriage is not exactly a walk in the park. But despite some major bumps along the way, we are making it work and growing more emotionally mature together. My husband Mark is a very patient person and I am sometimes secretly worried that I’m not exactly giving him what one would call marital bliss. He is also a great stepfather to Karolina and they have a wonderful relationship going on for which I am probably the most grateful.


We got married in Las Vegas, but not as one might thinK in one of these drive-thru chapels. I actually did not know what he was planning until the day of wedding. We flew in a helicopter to Grand Canyon and that’s where we got married. 


We also have two cats  Maxie and Sushi. My professional life is probably not very interesting but it at least allows me to be a full-time mom. I am a freelance Polish translator and work mostly on the computer from home. Only occasionally I work for NY State Court System as an interpreter and I am hoping that one day I can do it full time since it’s actually very fun to meet the judges, attorneys and court officers as colleagues not as people whose service you need. I have two dream jobs: a college professor in comparative literature (that’s what I got my degree in) or a literary translator, both of which, not surprisingly, are closely connected with literature.

Okay, I think I will stop boring you now. I will only mention the thing I am most looking for in life and I’ll be gone :). The biggest thing I wish to attain one day is, actually not happiness but contentment, serenity and peace. I hate chaos around me, it makes me very anxious and uneasy, therefore I am looking forward to peace and quiet.

A quote that gives me strength:

 …He became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord save me!” Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him and said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?”

Matthew 14:30-33

12 comments:

  1. I loved this post Lilly! You have opened up your heart to your blogging family...I loved learning more about you. I have the same anxieties being around people, I prefer to be alone or just with my husband, so I understand.
    You are an awesome person, Lilly. I admire your strength and resilience. Thanks for sharing your story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilly, what a lovely post. Even though you are the age of my children, I see so much of you in myself from what you shared.

    May you be surrounded by peace, quiet, love and happiness all the days of your life. I do feel like I know where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter Lilly!

    This is a fabulous "About Me" post, you didn't bore me one bit!

    What a beautiful wedding photo you've shared. And the quote, oh yes, Lord, give me strength.

    I can pretend to be outgoing, but deep down inside I am anti-social, except with very close friends offline and online, I am very outgoing. There seems to be less judgement displayed on a computer screen, and it is easier to choose, we can change screens, which we often cannot do with our offline contact. Personally, I get along best with my canine pals...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great to find out a little bit more about you. I love your wedding photo - it looks as though you had a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire anyone who can leave their native country and make a home in another one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to get to know you better, Lilly -- thanks! This is a terrific post -- so honest and open. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe that you got married in teh Grande Canyon - that's amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your About post is very interesting - thanks for sharing so much about yourself! I think a lot of us bookish people are introverts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, just found your blog , I loved your quote so true :) You have an awesome site that I am now following, :) 


    ReplyDelete
  10. That wasn't boring at all! Thanks for sharing! And I love the photo, especially the smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Lilly. I love the wedding pic- you look so beautiful. You already know we share a lot of the same personality traits so I get what you're saying. It's great that you reach out and share like this. You're a very special person - don't forget that. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lilly you look wonderful in the picture. :)

    Thanks for sharing - I too am a bit of a loner.

    ReplyDelete