Monday, August 10, 2009

It's Monday and it's time for...Borrowed Words


I have recently read a comment where it was said that our experience of a book is secondary to the book itself (meaning, I suppose, the technicalities, the good style, 'what the author wanted to say' - oh, I really stay away from this phrase). I think that experiencing the book is the only thing that matters and everything else is what helps create that experience. Writing is a form of art, at least I have always considered it to be so and as any other form of art, the finished product is given to us so we can experience it. Anyway, this little thing inspired me to look for quotes from superb writers/artists on what it is really to write and what I found confirmed my own opinion and made me think that all the anguish and hope and work and sleepless nights, and passion cold not have possibly be invested into the final product merely for us, readers to concentrate on technicalities but to instead feel, experience our own emotions while reading. Today I give you words borrowed from a few artists:

Through joy and through sorrow, I wrote. Through hunger and through thirst, I wrote. Through good report and through ill report, I wrote. Through sunshine and through moonshine, I wrote. What I wrote it is unnecessary to say.
Edgar A. Poe


What is so wonderful about great literature is that it transforms the man who reads it towards the condition of the man who wrote, and brings to birth in us also the creative impulse.
E M Forster


To me the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the music the words make.
Truman Capote


'The only important thing in a book is the meaning it has for you.'
Somerset Maugham

3 comments:

  1. I love the E.M. Forster quote- this one is exactly how I feel:) Have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, thought-provoking post! While I enjoyed reading all the quotes, my most favorite is the last one by Somerset Maugham.

    I believe that readers and writers work in tandem to bring meaning to any story. That is why we can all read the same work and have different reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that comment, too, and totally disagreed. I much prefer Maugham's take on things.

    ReplyDelete