Goodness gracious! What a measly month in reading! I am telling you, I wasn't kidding when I kept saying that I was in a reading rut. And do you know what is worse than a reading rut? A reviewing rut! I felt all 'reviewed up' and honestly could not bring myself up to review even the total of five books. Fortunately, this bad month has come to an end (long time ago, might I say. I completely forgot about posting the summary.) and I can concentrate on moving forward and maybe reading a little more in August.
1. Lucky by Alice Sebold - a very harsh and at times painful memoir about the rape and the life after by the author of Lucky Bones (which I have yet to read).
2. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein - a really beautiful novel which I didn't review simply because so many other people did and all the reviews were brilliant, and I didn't really have anything new to say.
3. House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III - I actually wasn't crazy about this one at all, it was very slow at times especially the first half. It did make up for the slowness towards the end and the ending was very tragic.
4. Labyrinth by Kate Mosse - the only book that was honored with a review.
5. Annette Vallon by James Tipton - a very good historical fiction about French Revolution. It did make me want to read more about this period in history and the prose is beautiful. I may yet write a review.