Saturday, August 29, 2009

Weekly Geeks: One Title/ Author Collection


Weekly Geeksters, tell us, do you have a collection, (or are you starting a collection,) of one particular book title? If so, what's your story? Why that book, and how many do you have, and what editions are they? Share pictures and give us all the details.

Or perhaps you dream about starting such a collection. What title would it be and what would it take for you to get mo
tivated to start collecting?

Or maybe it's the works of a particular author you collect (or want to collect) instead a certain book title?

I am crazy about books, no question about it. However, I think my madness still has more levels to reach since I do not have a collection of one title. I have actually never given it a second thought. My bookshelves are already double stacked (horizont
ally and vertically sometimes) and there is really no space in my tiny house to put more. However, now that I read this Weekly Geeks question, I gave it more thought just to see what this one book would be, had I a big enough house with a beautiful, spacious library to show off my collection.


And yes, there is that one special book: Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. I had fallen 'head over heels' for this book back in high school and fifteen years later it is still my 'take to a deserted island' book. I absolutely love, love the story of Cosette and Jean Valjean. I have read it several times now and it gets me everytime: I don't cry...I weep and weep and then weep some more, and worst part is, I somehow always end up finishing it at night, staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning crying my eyes out. When I get up the next day, I look like I am suffering from a hangover of a lifetime.

Anyway, having a blessing of speaking two languages, I read Les Misérables in both Polish and English translations. Both were fantastic. My dream is to one day learn French so I could finally read this work of art in the mother tongue of Hugo's. I cannot even imagine how beautiful this novel really is, as there is always something lost in translation.


Polish Version

Well, there it is: one day I will master French, I will own a big house with a library the size of my entire cottage I live in now and the central spot will belong to all different copies, originals and translations of
Les Misérables (Polish title, by the way, is Nędznicy).

11 comments:

  1. If only we all had a big beautiful library in our big beautiful house, right? And Les Mis is a fantastic choice for this.

    My post is at http://eclectcentric.blogspot.com/2009/08/weekly-geeks-obsession.html. For some reason, I can't make it a link...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your goals! I agree that it would be great to be able to read French as they have several of these classics you feel you should have read.

    I think I will stick with English, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian - or perhaps I might try to take up Dutch again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a dream to aspire to! Great book choice, and I like the idea of acquiring it in different languages too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les Mis is such an emotional roller coaster! Wonderful pick, Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read Les Miserables. It's really awesome that you can read it in Polish! The book that makes me cry every time is Watership Down. The movie makes me cry too. I've read the book many times and have owned several different copies of it over the years. It's interesting how books can do that.

    My Weekly Geeks is about various illustrated Alice in Wonderland books. Happy Weekly Geeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Les Mis is on a shelf, but I've never read it yet... Seems every time I think about reading it, someone talks about it so much that I put it off so that it can properly unfold for me... But one day...

    The number of people who don't collect books or anything else is surprising me quite a bit tho!

    (Along with the link in my name to Collectors' Quest, I also have a second and different post at Kitsch Slapped.)

    ReplyDelete