Saturday, August 22, 2009

Weekly Geeks: Why haven't I read this yet?

Here's what Weekly Geeks serves us this week:

I think just about every reader has a least one book that they've been meaning to read for awhile (months or even years) but, for one reason or another, they just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe it's a book a friend recommended last year, or a title you've flirted with in a bookstore on more than one occasion, or maybe it's a book that's sitting right there on your bookshelf, patiently waiting for you to pick it up -- but the thought is always there, in the back of your mind: Why haven't I read this yet? This week, tell us about a book (or books) you have been meaning to read. What is it? How long have you wanted to read it? And, why haven't you read it yet?

I have so many books that I haven't read yet but really, really want to or know that I should read. Heck, I already own most of them in preparation to start reading but somehow, some other titles always get in the way and the books that were meant to be read first, take a back seat.
Because there are tons of books I have been planning on reading for at least a year (most of the time longer than that), I am just limiting myself to the authors, series and only a few individual titles that are burning a hole of guilt in my heart for neglecting them.

1. Authors:

Jean P
laidy - I know she is a fantastic historical writer and I love historical fiction. Every time I see one of her books reviewed somewhere, I look at the stack I own and promise myself that right after the current reading project I am concentrating on her. Well, since Plaidy earned a spot in this post, it hasn't come to fruition yet.





Nuru
ddin Farrah - this is a Somalian author I have wanted to read since I fell in love with books by another African writer, Chinua Achebe. I own Farrah's Variations on African Dictatorship trilogy as well as Knots. From what I understand he is a very accomplished writer and the themes in his books are close to his heart and deal with serious issues of politics and regular people's hardships in Somalia. I prefer such African literature to the kinds of McCall-Smith's mysteries (not to take anything away from them) because in my opinion the literary voices of Africa have to be heard and we know how 'the pen is mightier than a sword'. If you're interested in Farrah's accomplishments and life, here's the link to his biography.

2. Series:

Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth - because I am a fan of classic, hard-core fantasy sagas.





Terry Br
ooks's The Sword of Shannara - see above. I also own almost complete series of both authors.

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's The Cycle of Saint-Germain - because I am a sucker for history, romance and vampires combined and this is what I can find in her books.


3. Bo
oks:


Wat
er for Elephants by Sara Gruen






The
Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

I sometimes feel that both of these books were read and loved by all but me. And it causes me moments of great embarrassment when I say I am a book lover and I'm asked about these two titles when I have to admit that indeed, I have not read either yet.

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - King is one of my most favorite authors, evil vampires are my most favorite kind of vampires and I really don't know what I'm waiting for.




Ro
ots by Alex Haley - it's a classic, it's a real chunkster (the longer a book, the better for me) and it's a saga spanning generations that's simply asking to be read.




All these books represent just a tiny percentage of all that I haven't read yet but really want to. They have been on my mind for simply the longest time and I know I will not be able to ignore their call for much longer.