Saturday, August 22, 2009

Weekly Geeks: Why haven't I read this yet?

Here's what Weekly Geeks serves us this week:

I think just about every reader has a least one book that they've been meaning to read for awhile (months or even years) but, for one reason or another, they just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe it's a book a friend recommended last year, or a title you've flirted with in a bookstore on more than one occasion, or maybe it's a book that's sitting right there on your bookshelf, patiently waiting for you to pick it up -- but the thought is always there, in the back of your mind: Why haven't I read this yet? This week, tell us about a book (or books) you have been meaning to read. What is it? How long have you wanted to read it? And, why haven't you read it yet?

I have so many books that I haven't read yet but really, really want to or know that I should read. Heck, I already own most of them in preparation to start reading but somehow, some other titles always get in the way and the books that were meant to be read first, take a back seat.
Because there are tons of books I have been planning on reading for at least a year (most of the time longer than that), I am just limiting myself to the authors, series and only a few individual titles that are burning a hole of guilt in my heart for neglecting them.

1. Authors:

Jean P
laidy - I know she is a fantastic historical writer and I love historical fiction. Every time I see one of her books reviewed somewhere, I look at the stack I own and promise myself that right after the current reading project I am concentrating on her. Well, since Plaidy earned a spot in this post, it hasn't come to fruition yet.





Nuru
ddin Farrah - this is a Somalian author I have wanted to read since I fell in love with books by another African writer, Chinua Achebe. I own Farrah's Variations on African Dictatorship trilogy as well as Knots. From what I understand he is a very accomplished writer and the themes in his books are close to his heart and deal with serious issues of politics and regular people's hardships in Somalia. I prefer such African literature to the kinds of McCall-Smith's mysteries (not to take anything away from them) because in my opinion the literary voices of Africa have to be heard and we know how 'the pen is mightier than a sword'. If you're interested in Farrah's accomplishments and life, here's the link to his biography.

2. Series:

Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth - because I am a fan of classic, hard-core fantasy sagas.





Terry Br
ooks's The Sword of Shannara - see above. I also own almost complete series of both authors.

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's The Cycle of Saint-Germain - because I am a sucker for history, romance and vampires combined and this is what I can find in her books.


3. Bo
oks:


Wat
er for Elephants by Sara Gruen






The
Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

I sometimes feel that both of these books were read and loved by all but me. And it causes me moments of great embarrassment when I say I am a book lover and I'm asked about these two titles when I have to admit that indeed, I have not read either yet.

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King - King is one of my most favorite authors, evil vampires are my most favorite kind of vampires and I really don't know what I'm waiting for.




Ro
ots by Alex Haley - it's a classic, it's a real chunkster (the longer a book, the better for me) and it's a saga spanning generations that's simply asking to be read.




All these books represent just a tiny percentage of all that I haven't read yet but really want to. They have been on my mind for simply the longest time and I know I will not be able to ignore their call for much longer.



18 comments:

  1. I was nodding along with Terry Goodkind and Terry Brooks _ I'm a fantasy fan too, and haven't read either of those authors.
    I also have Water for Elephants on my 'mean-to-read' list.
    I can endorse The Time Traveller's Wife and Salem's Lot. Both great reads.
    Happy Weekly Geeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally sat down a year ago and read TT's wife, oh and cried my eyes out
    And so many more waiting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard of the Ste. Germaine ones.... 27 books, starting in ancient Rome, you gotta give 'em credit for epic scope...

    I completely agree on the long-books idea! Something about a nice thick book is just sort of comforting. Sometimes when I've had a rough day, I'll just pick up my big thick Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson and hug it like a teddy bear :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is some list, and I have comments for quite a few. :) First, we have a lot of the same TBR books including Terry Goodkind's Sword series, The Time Traveler's Wife, and Roots.

    I've read Water for Elephants and it is absolutely wonderful, so I really recommend that.

    My Weekly Geeks is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend both Water for Elephants and TTTW. Stock up on Kleenex for TTTW, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you have been fast. I plan to answer this one tomorrow, but I will have to think some more first. On the spur of the moment I cannot really come up with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is quite a plan for future reading mapped out there. If it were me, I would skip Water for Elephants though for a variety of reasons. Or maybe you should read it and decide for yourself. See, it is this type of indecisiveness that leaves me with some many unread books. :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read The Time Traveler's Wife but I didn't love it. My post is here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. when reading roots, probably late in the book, there is a mention, so i have been told, of a 'banker vaughan'. my grandfather is supposed to be that man...let me know the time period so i can check it out. please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you ever get around to reding the time traveler's wife, make sure you have lots of tissues handy. I liked it, but will never read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there,

    I'm in the minority in not being impressed by Time Traveller's Wife - just couldn't stand the low-grade writing and cliches. Made me cringe. But a good story.

    'Salem's Lot is my favourite vampire novel and one of my favourite King novels. Probably a bit tired now what with Rice and Twilight thingies, but worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Water for Elephants! Forgot that one; it's on my list, too. Too many books, too little time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agree with the others that TTTW is a major weepy. Over all I didn't love it as much as many people do, but just the thought of the ending still makes me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the reminder to look out for Like Water for Elephants - I must start writing down books I want to read

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great question that I think I might answer it on my own blog even though I am not a Weekly Geek! Jean Plaidy is a good answer as well. I haven't heard of Nuruddin Farrah I don't think, but he sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liked both Time Travellers Wife and Water for Elephants! Totally agree on the need for tissues at the end of TTW!

    ReplyDelete