Monday, August 31, 2009

It's Monday and it's time for...Borrowed Words


I think I have mentioned a few times that I am not a fan of poetry. It simply does not appeal to me as strongly as prose does. There are however a few poets and a few poems that I understand, enjoy and consider packed with meaning. The poem I am quoting today is one that speaks of Africa that suffered oppression for hundred of years but that is still standing strong, tasting however how bitter the liberty may be. I like this poem because it is really very universal and Africa can be replaced with names of other countries, other nations all over the world that suffered or are still suffering from oppression. Today I give you words borrowed from David Diop:



Africa tell me Africa

Is this your back that is bent

This back that breaks under the weight of

humiliation

This back trembling with red scars

And saying yes to the whip under the midday sun

But a grave voice answers me

Impetuous son, that tree young and strong

That tree there

In splendid loneliness amidst white and faded

flowers

That is Africa your Africa

That grows again patiently obstinately

And its fruit gradually acquire

The bitter taste of liberty

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lilly! The poem is indeed wonderful. I'm also not a fan of poetry, since I'm not good with analyzing poems. I do like Kipling though.

    ReplyDelete