Monday, August 24, 2009

It's Monday and it's time for...Borrowed Words


I have been recently thinking why it is exactly that I am so drawn to quotations and words of others. Is it because my creativity lacks greatly in this department? Well, I admit, I am not the most creative person in the world but I like words of great personalities and artists, and generally wise people because a lot of times they express what I believe so much better and so much more adequately than I could. So, today I give you words borrowed from others on why we quote:

When I quote others I do so in order to express my own ideas more clearly. - Michel de Montaigne

It is delightful to transport one's self into the spirit of the past, to see how a wise man has thought before us. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Stealing someone else's words frequently spares the embarrassment of eating your own. - Peter Anderson (this one's funny, but true nonetheless)

A collection of rare thoughts is nothing less than a cabinet of intellectual gems.- William B. Sprague

2 comments:

  1. I love quotes, too. Sometimes they say something you think but haven't been able to verbally express. Sometimes they just say it better! I love quotes that are witty, deep, or are about books and reading (because obviously I like books!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I post different quotations in my blog several times a week! I love them. I figure many very smart and learned people have come before me and have said some pretty amazing things, why not learn from them?! So that's why I love quotations.

    ReplyDelete