Sunday, April 5, 2009

March Reads

I amazed myself in the month of March. I managed to read 14 books! I don’t know how I did it, but something tells me that having problems with work (or the lack thereof) might have something to do with it. Anyway, here’s the list and I’m already looking forward to April reads.

1. Wizard by Trade by Jim Butcher (I really, really like Harry Dresden series, it’s funny and it’s all wizards, vampires and the likes).

2. Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George (awesome mystery, awesome writer, she is really one of the best).

3. The Day After Tomorrow by Sandee Sgarlata (it was okay, could benefit from a few plot improvements).

4. Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Patillo (I wasn’t happy with this one at all).

5. Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark by Donna Lea Simpson (now, that was a really good historical romance/mystery)

6. The Traitor’s Wife by Susan Higginbotham (my review is coming up on April 7th, but for now I say it was a superb historical novel).

7. Passion Unleashed by Larissa Ione (very hot paranormal romance, must say that, surprisingly, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would).

8. The Red Siren by M.L. Tyndall (I was put off by this book as soon as I realized that the heroine had absolutely nothing to do with the lady on the cover, I guess I ‘judged a book by its cover’, even though it was an okay historical/Christian romance).

9. For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn (I disliked the seemingly preferential treatment of men and an overall assumption that women should just forgive them all their shortcomings, no matter what they are).

10. For Men Only by Shaunti Feldhahn and Jeff Feldhahn (I had to read this one to see if women got the same preferential treatment in this book, just to even it all out, but I was sadly disappointed. I hated the condescending and, at times even patronizing tone. And apparently, even after having been studied deeply, we should still be more forgiving towards men than men towards us, go figure!).

11. The Plague by Albert Camus (what can I say, it’s a classic!).

12. Stakes & Stilettos by Michelle Rowen (really enjoyed this vampire, funny and light romance).

13. The Reincarnationist by M.J. Rose (my review will be posted shortly but all I have to say now is that I was sorely disappointed by this “action” thriller).

14. Left Behind by Tim LaHaye & Jerry Jenkins (okay, it is a heavy Christian thriller, but I love the series and I know I will read it all before the year ends).

Audiobooks:

1. The Life and Times of Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson (this guy is a word wizard, he is absolutely fantastic and I already put all of his other books on my reading list).

2. The Darkest Fire: Lords of the Underworld Prequel by Gena Showalter (it was a short prequel but it was enough to make me want to read the rest of her books).

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Lilly, that's quite the list there! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Drey. As I wrote I am surprised myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Good job. I'll have to look into that Darkest Fire audio. Always happy to have audio suggestions. Bryson is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 14 books! That's half a month's worth! :) Hopefully it was enjoyable!

    I have Passion Unleashed and Stakes & Stilettos on my TBR list. I haven't read the Left Behind series in a while (and I got tired of waiting for the next one to come out), but I think the 2nd book is my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice :D

    I think I managed 4 or something

    ReplyDelete