Wednesday, July 8, 2009

June Reads

With all that's been happening (look up my previous post), June went by very quickly for me. Unfortunately, I have been very slow with reading as other things occupied my mind. Slowly, I am trying to get back to at least take better care of my blog and the blogging community (and of wonderful posts I missed reading). With my state of mind I have learned that one of the best things I can do is keep up the habits (the good ones, of course) and stick to daily routine. So that's what I'm trying to do. The first thing right after posting this, will be opening my Reader to finally visit all the blogs and read what I've missed. But for now, here's what I managed to read in June:

1. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus - I thought I would like it more than I actually did.

2. Firestorm by Iris Johansen - it was a quick read, a typical, fast paced thriller but unfortunately very forgettable. Actually I already forgot what exactly it was about.

3. Friend of the Devil by Peter Robinson - I am happy I discovered this author, he has a whole series about a British detective and it's similar to P.D. James which I also enjoy.

4. Worst Nightmares by Shane Briant - I wasn't sure whether I should classify this one as horror or thriller, but it fits both categories I suppose. All and all, a good read and, unlike Firestorm, I still remember what it was about.

5. Father Melancholy’s Daughter by Gail Godwin - I think this one is a book to be read more than once in order to be truly appreciated. It's definitely a literary fiction, concentrating on characters and (subject I always like to read about to see how accurate the portrayal is) depression. The writing is at times very deep and profound, I have pages of text underlined to refer back to.

6. Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult - I like Picoult but this one just didn't sit right with me. All's fine until the miracles start to happen and we're looking at the secong coming of Jesus. Not really something I would expect from Picoult and honestly she didn't pull it off all that well either.

7. The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory - Oh, my poor girls at The Girls On Books blog are getting mad at me, since this review was supposed to be posted two weeks ago. I find it very difficult to put a good review together but I promise it will be up on Monday.

8. The Return by Bentley Little - my first Bentley Little book and I was disappointed. It read more like a bad sci-fi than a good horror and I only hope his other books are better since I own two more.

Audio books:

1. Twenty Seven Bones by Jonathan Nasaw

2. The Beekeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King - I didn't like the book, it was quite boring and at times I just wanted to shut the player off and be done with it. I think however that it's not the author's fault and the series is worth reading but just not the right type to be recorded (at least that's my hope since I have five others in this series).

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good month reading-wise. Lot of good titles listed.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great month. I agree with Change of Heart, not my fave Picoult by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's disappointing about the Bentley Little novel....I have several of his on my waiting list. Hopefully these are better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Girls are hardly mad at you Lilly and so very shocked you would say so. We are worried about you and understand that life sometimes gets in our way. Just know that all of us at TGOB just miss having our complete family and anxiously await the time when things ease for you so we can be compelete again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right Lilly - routine is the best medicine. You had a good month of reading. I have yet to read The Boleyn Inheritance and it's been sitting on my shelf for ages.

    ReplyDelete