Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday


I finally decided to partake in this fun feature started by Bermudaonion.
Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun.

The two words below are both found in Annette Vallon by James Tipton I am reading this week.


"taffetta" - a crisp, plain-woven lustrous fabric of various fibers used esp. for women's clothing


And this is how it's used in the novel:


I remember the feel of a silk sleeve on my skin, the lightness of taffeta when I danced, and the big riding cloak when I could feel the reassuring weight of a pistol in each pocket.


"melange" - a mixture often of incongruous elements


This is how it's used in the novel:


I was impatient for the steaming sauceboat, placed in front of him, with its melange of caramelized sugar, lemon and orange juices, white wine, and red currant jelly.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Wondrous Words Wednesday! I agree, this meme really makes me pay more attention to words as I'm reading. My partner pokes fun at me though because I insert tiny pieces of paper throughout my books to mark the words I find. He thinks I should just keep track of them on one piece of paper, but I don't want to interrupt my reading that often to find a pen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to participate! A lot of times I can guess what a word means by the context, but of course, I'm not always right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great feature!
    Actually I know taffeta (Danish: taft) from girls´ and dolls´ dresses in my early childhood in the sixties. Wonderful material if you want to look like a little princess - and cannot afford silk.

    ReplyDelete