Thursday, October 1, 2009

BTT: Lies, lies, lies.



Saw this article (from March) and thought it would make a good BTT confessional question:

Two-thirds of Brits have lied about reading books they haven’t. Have you? Why? What book?

Sadly, or maybe not so sadly, there is not much to confess here. I have never made up a lie about reading books. Not that I am a person who abhors this kind of behavior. I don't. It has simply never occurred to me to say that I read a certain book when in reality I haven't and probably never will.

I read books for myself only. There is no other motive than love of reading what I want to read and not what others might think I should read. The days of school assignments are over for me. And even then, I read all the books on the required reading list. Yep, I was that nerdy.

4 comments:

  1. I was pretty nerdy, too. But I did come up with one book I lied about reading in a high school English class. Since then, I've been completely honest - at least about my reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually read books I didn't want to read. But as I was writing about certain subjects, it was right to do so to get a balanced view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lied at school :) but for personal reading...there's no point in lying

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lie to myself: "Yes, I will read that book someday." :p

    ReplyDelete