Sunday, October 25, 2009

Dewey's 24-hour Read-A-Thon - End of Event meme




It is hour 24 and I was awake for only 17 hours out of 24. I tried to stay past midnight but my eyes kept closing and I think I spent 30 minutes reading the same page. I am nonetheless happy altogether with how the whole event went. I didn't expect myself to stay up past 10pm and I honestly had lots of fun.

Admittedly I only read one whole book, No Wind of Blame by Georgette Heyer.
I did read bits and pieces of The Tattoo Machine by Jeff Johnson and listened to The Summoning by Armstrong for about 15 minutes.

Total books read: 1

Total pages read: 374 (one whole book - 346 and The Tattoo Machine - 10)

Total time staying awake and trying to read: 17 hours (8am-12am Saturday & 7am-8am Sunday).

Let's move on to the last meme of this year's event.

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?
hour 13, 9-10pm

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a reader engaged for next year?
Psychological thrillers definitely. I just read A Circle of Souls by Preetham Grandhi a couple of days before the read-a-thon and I wish I put it away and read it during the event instead.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
I honestly don't. I think it went very smoothly and I met new bloggers too which was an added bonus. I am just very happy that there are bloggers who organize this event everytime and make sure it runs smoothly.

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
Cheerleaders. These girls were absolutely amazing.

5. How many books did you read?
I only read one full book which is still more than I usually manage (the fastest I can read is a book in two days).

6. What were the names of the books you read?
No Wind of Blame, The Tattoo Machine and The Summoning

7. Which book did you enjoy most?
No Wind of Blame but The Summoning is an audio book that I am enjoying a lot as well.

8. Which did you enjoy least?
The Tattoo Machine, not that it's bad but I a
m at the beginning of it and the author comes off cocky and better than....

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? I weren't one but whoever decides to be a cheerleader next year just do what the girls do this time :)

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again?
What role would you be likely to take next time? I would love to participate in every read-a-thon from now on, preferably as a reader. I want to see if I get better with each event but more importantly make it a tradition and something my family can finally get used to and know not to bother me those two days in the whole year. However, next spring when the read-a-thon comes along I will have a baby boy infant to take care (I am due February 7th, 2010) of so I would have to wait and see how it goes.

I just wanted to finish it up with saying thank you to all the fantastic bloggers, readers,cheerleaders and everyone who visited my blog and commented and kept my spirits up even though they didn't participate in the read-a-thon at all. I am very taken aback by the wonderful atmosphere that permeated the blogosphere (a little rhyming here) and for that alone it is worth participating in this even any and every time.

14 comments:

  1. That last hour has come and gone! I had a fab time, and I hope you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a terrific ReadaThon! Sounds like you had fun and I'm so glad the cheerleaders were so helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on reading the Heyer and progressing on the othertwo! :) And I'm glad you liked the cheerleaders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Lilly, 17 hours awake is awesome. Glad you're enjoying The Summoning too!
    Hope I can participate in the next one, it's a great experience and lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice rhyme...the cheerleaders must be rubbing off on you!

    Hooray for all of the reading you did! And I hope this does become a tradition for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fun is all that matters and you still did a great job with staying up and reading! I hope you can continue to participate even with a baby boy next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on a job well done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of thinking of the readathon as a 'tradition'. That's my plan too so the hubby knows that the day is mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooooh, a baby boy? Some things are even better than books :D

    Congratulations, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on completing the readathon - you did a great job. And I'm so glad you had fun. I did too - I enjoyed it all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really glad I found your blog through readathon- hope we can stay in touch :-) I am now following you, so I am sure I'll be putting a lot more books on my TBR list from here :-)

    Also, anyone who lists a Heyer book as one of their favorites is automatically one of my favorite people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did a fantastic jon at the Readathon, Lily!. It definitely makes a difference what you books you read, I leanrned that! I couldn't stay awake for the entire 24 hours. At one point my head just hit the pillow!

    Overall it was a fun time, though. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Circle of Souls sounds interesting. I might think about that for next time!

    ReplyDelete