Monday, March 16, 2009

Borrowed Words


I have decided to introduce a weekly post to my blog. It is called "Borrowed Words" because I will be posting words said or written by other people, some famous, and some not so much. What they all will have in common is that they will be words of encouragement, inspiration, spirituality or life wisdom. I have embarked on a kind of spiritual journey this year and I think that this will be a fun part of it. I will post new ones on Mondays, but there was no particular thought process behind picking a day. It simply occurred to me today, today is Monday, and so Monday it is. I hope you'll enjoy it and maybe think it fun enough along the way to post your own on your blogs.

Today, I give you words of Nelson Mandela, borrowed from his 1994 Inaugural Speech.


Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?"

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is withing us.

It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to be the same.

As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!! You know, I never thought of it like that...it's the success that scares us, not the failure

    Great quote and great feature! I'll be looking forward to these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy. I agree, I never thought about what's keeping us from being who we could be until I read these words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily, What a wonderful idea. I'll be looking forward to next Monday now. Usually it's only the first sentence that is quoted, so I've never heard the whole quote, it is very inspirational and we all need inspiration : D Thanks.

    BevE
    Merry Weather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bev. It is inspirational and really holds credence considering who it came from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great feature you have come up with, and beginning with Nelson Mandela is an excellent choice. He is such an admirable person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't he? Great, great personality.
    Thank you Dorte.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of your weekly quotes. Good luck with this new project!

    ReplyDelete