Friday, March 27, 2009

Weekly Geeks - historical fiction.

I know that I'm a little late with the Weekly Geeks' post but better late than never. Do you have a favorite book that really pulled you back in time, or perhaps gave you a special interest in that period? Include a link to a review of it on another book blog if you can find one (doesn't have to be a Weekly Geek participant).

Here’s the thing: I love historical fiction, but I do not read nearly as much of it as I probably should. Reasons for that are many. However, the main one is I love other genres just as much and I want to share my time equally with all of them. Here’s another thing: every time I do read historical fiction, I acquire a special interest in the period the book I’m reading is about or set in. That’s where my belief stems from that no matter how entertaining a book is, it can always be treated as a source of new knowledge. Every time I read anything set in a certain period of time or about a historical figure, I simultaneously check the facts on the Internet (oh, the blessings of the modern age!).
The first historical fiction book had tremendous impact on me in a sense that I was instantly pulled back into that time and that I wanted to know more. So much more that I actually wrote my Master’s thesis on it. The book was Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and the period in question was the British Empire’s colonization of Nigeria. I had known very little about that period before I read the book. My knowledge had been very general and quite superficial really. Things Fall Apart made me acquainted with the Igbo tribe, their customs, their religion and beliefs. My ignorance of that period of time started glaring at me from the pages of this book until colonization period became my obsession. I probably could write another hundred pages on this book alone but I will stop here and say only that it is one of those books that absolutely have to be read, no question about it.

The next book didn’t come along until years later. I picked it up at library exclusively because of the size. I am a freak when it comes to the size of books, the more chunky the better. Mary, Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George was tremendously thick and I swear it was inviting me to open it, start reading and get lost in it (talk about weird). And so I did. And I absolutely loved it. Ms. George is a master at writing historical fiction and all of her books I read after the first one were just as good, but as it always goes with the firsts, Mary, Queen of Scotland and the Isles holds a special place in my heart. Mary Stuart was a truly tragic figure and I think is still one of the least understood rulers. I fell in love with her and experienced every injustice done to her and every madness she put herself through as if they were my own. Now, that is a mark of a truly great writer who creates a book that has the capability to pierce right through a reader’s heart.

13 comments:

  1. You make Mary sound very tempting to read, although I tried to read Cleopatra by Margarte George, and couldn't get into it. Still ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure George's books are not appealing to all, we all do have different tastes but it's at least worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love historical fiction :) But I seems mostly drawn to those with a bit of romance in them :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one I mentioned has very little of it, but the second one has a lot of tragic love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things Fall Apart is one of the ones, I'd like to read.

    Personally, I never cared for Historical Fiction until the last few years, but like you, I like too many other kinds of books as well so don't read as many as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, Things Fall Apart is not an easy read but if you want to know anything about the world it's the one to read definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tragic love, dunno, it always make me so sad :( I am such a sucker for happy endings

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's never too late to post a WG post!!

    Things Fall Apart is an excellent example...wish I'd remembered that one! I haven't read a single book about Mary, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You wrote: That’s where my belief stems from that no matter how entertaining a book is, it can always be treated as a source of new knowledge.

    Oh my goodness -- that is my philosophy summed up in a nutshell. I love Horace's definition of great literature: it must entertain as well as instruct.

    ReplyDelete
  10. softdrink: i am so glad to know that I'm not the only person who knows about and likes Things fall Apart, isn't it a wonderful read?

    Molly: I'm happy that it's your philosophy on reading as well, I agree, the literature must and it does, if we're willing to take it, instruct.

    Blodeuedd: I'm afraid that yes, Mary's life and her love story is quite tragic but still think that it's also worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lilly,

    Congratulations! You have been awarded The Zombie Chicken Award by Merry Weather :D

    Head on over to my blog to receive your award.

    Happy Spring : D

    BevE

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will put it on my list, I mean it wouldn't be the first "sad" book I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading historical fiction as much as I enjoy writing it. I have written a few historical novels (not romance ones though;)set in the 30s, 50s, 60s. 'The Separate Principle' set before the outbreak of the second world war has just been published. I enjoy finding those eras we think we know so much about and giving them a new twist, showing life as much as the characters. Any other 1930s books to recommend?

    ReplyDelete