First the list of all the books I managed to read for this great challenge hosted by My Two Blessings.
1. King's Fool by Margaret Campbell Barnes
2. Lady Anne and the Howl in the Dark by Donna Lea Simpson
3. What Would Jane Austen Do? by Laurie Brown
4. With Violets by Elizabeth Robards
5. The Testament by David Morrell
6. Blessings by Anna Quindlen
7. The Book of Air & Shadows by Michael Gruber
8. The Book Thief by Michael Zusak
9. The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub
10. Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy
11. Dragon Tears by Dean Koontz
12. Mr. X by Peter Straub
13. The Kingmaking by Helen Hollick
Winter is always a very difficult time for me. As some of you might know, I suffer from clinical depression and I unfortunately get to be visited by it more often during the cold, dreary, mostly sunless days of winter. This year it actually was quite worse since on top of my usual struggles, I was also struggling in my personal life, my professional career wasn’t going anywhere and many days, even weeks, I had to live on a very limited budget. Of course books have always been my rescue and not having been aware of what was ahead of me, I put up the Winter Challenge list with books that were perfect for helping me get outside of myself and somehow survive this season that is thankfully coming to an end.
I honestly enjoyed all of the thirteen books, but if I had to pick my most favorite and most ‘life-saving’ it would be The Book of Air & Shadows. The main reasons are that it was very funny, very clever and utterly entertaining. I truly believe that sometimes laughter is the best medicine and this book proved that well known theory to me yet again. What I like about this challenge though is that it didn’t have any particular theme so I could pick any books I wanted. And I did my best to make it genre-wise diversified. I have there horror, mystery, chick lit, memoir, action thriller, popular and historical fiction. It’s almost like a little bit of everything. I will certainly be looking for a second helping next winter around.