Saturday, March 21, 2009

'Passion Unleashed' by Larissa Ione


First of all, Passion Unleashed by Larissa Ione was my first ever paranormal romance, and a Demonica novel, I might add. I was always wary of reading these types of books and now I am just kicking myself and asking, “Why?”. All I have to say, I have a lot of catching up to do and Passion Unleashed was just the perfect novel to introduce me to this genre.
The heroine, Serena Kelley, is an archaeologist and a woman with a powerful secret. When she was a child, she was granted immortality which would only be in effect if Serena stayed a virgin. It is all nice and dandy until she meets Wraith, a cruel and devoid of any morals Seminus demon. Wraith just found out that he is going to die and the only way he can stay alive is by seducing Serena, taking her virginity and ultimately causing her death. When things could not possibly get any more complicated, this heartless demon realizes that he is falling in love with the woman he has to kill to save himself.
Okay, here it goes: this book is hot, hot, hot! And I mean it. As I mentioned at the beginning, Passion Unleashed made me a romance convert and this is coming from a person who all her life had been wholeheartedly opposed to reading anything with "romance" stamped on it. I literally could not tear myself away from this book until it was finished. I spent a whole day reading it, while ignoring a sink full of dirty dishes, a laundry basket full of clothes to be washed and a grumbling stomach. There is, of course, a lot of sex scenes, which strangely (or maybe not so strangely, hhmm?) did not bother me one bit. Most importantly, Larissa is one heck of a paranormal romance writer. She has a skill for creating the most twisted demonic characters and for writing a book that is actually very touching because amidst all heaven breaking loose, the whole evil world going at it, there is still enough space for a very human feeling called love. I know that it sounds a little tacky, but I can’t help it. I have to give credit where credit’s due and Passion Unleashed is a perfect book to get completely lost in and forget about the world outside, if only for a few hours.

*****

Special Thanks to Hachette Book Group for providing me with a copy of this book.

And don't forget to visit Larissa Ione's website for more Demonica fun and beyond.


7 comments:

  1. I got into the genre 1,5 years ago thanks to Kelley Armstrongs Bitten, and I was smitten :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FANTASTIC post! And not just because you liked the book (which I'm thrilled about,) but because you enjoyed a romance when romance isn't something you normally read.

    I remember back when I was practically allergic to the word "romance," but my roommate constantly read them. I made fun of her! And one day we made a deal: I'd read a romance if she watched an episode of Star Trek (she'd never seen it.)

    Well, I was an instant convert. And so was she. *g*

    But it wasn't until I found paranormal romance that I truly felt like I was at home in the romance world. I adore it!

    Since you liked Passion Unleashed, I highly recommend JR Ward (start with Dark Lover, but be warned, her books are addictive) Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series, and Sherrilyn Kenyon. Lots of paranormal goodness and action.

    Anyway, I'm so glad you enjoyed Wraith's story. He's come a long way from the demon-vamp he was in the first book!

    Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW what a review.. I couldn't tear my eyes of it till I finished it.. now I really have to go get this book!! Can't wait ..

    I used to read a lot oromance like 10 years ago, then I just stopped and turned to mystery/crime/horror.. until about 2 years ago I started but differently.. kind of the sentimental romance not the steamy type.. then when I got to paranormal romance, WOW I stuck there! I prefer it to the normal romance although a steamy romance is fine with me now..
    Thanks for a great review!

    I'll also be looking for the books Larissa Ione recommended :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larissa: Wow! I can't believe you actually took your time to lave a comment on my blog. I am honored. And thank you for the suggestions, I can't wait to read all those piles of wonderful paranormal romance, including all the other Demonica novels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blodeudd: I am looking forward to reading the 'Bitten ' series, i've heard a lot of good about it.

    DesertRose: Thanks so much. I'm glad you like the review. Aren't the suggestions from Larissa awesome, I can't wait to read them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know since I finished the first book from this series I was looking for the blog that I read this review from, because I started this series because of this review .. until I lost hope.. but now amizingly I found it.. I didn't realize that you read the 3rd book from the series until now, when I thought of linking to your review.. I've read the first book and reading the second book right now!
    I guess you better start the series from the beginnning now :)
    thanks for the great review that introduced me to Larissa Ione's Demonica world :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I need to read the previous two as soon as I'm done with all the review books i have on my shelf. I think it's an awesome series.

    ReplyDelete